We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any recommendations on what Island to stay in Somoa?

Sydney
6 posts
Save Topic
Any recommendations on what Island to stay in Somoa?

My partner and I are looking for a relaxing beach holiday, and while we were originally looking at the Cook Islands, the travelling time for a discounted flights out of Sydney is way too long for just a week's holiday.

As we are after a South Pacific adventure with some local culture, someone has recommended Samoa, and the flights are quite reasonable with a direct flight out of Sydney.

I am having difficultly in deciding whether to stay on Savaii or Upolu.

Ideally I'd love a self catered small apartment right on the beach, where we can just chill out, read, snorkel and swim, but with the option of going into village and getting a great feel for the culture if we (well I... my partner will be fine) get "cabin fever".

But before I can look at any accommodation, I need to decide on what Island, and on what beaches.

So many choices!! I have to say.... life is not too bad, when these are the tough decisions in our lives!

Any suggestions?

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any recommendations on what Island to stay in Somoa?

Hi there

On the beaches, there really aren't very many what I would call 'self catered apartments' available!

Most of the very beach front accommodation is in open fales with shared facilities, which for me, beat apartments hands down! However, there are a few places you might like, that are more resort-like.

Savai'i

Check out Stevensons, Savai'i Lagoon Resort and Le Lagoto. The rest of the options at Manase (one of the best beach areas on Savai'i) are pretty much beach fales.

'Upolu

Check out Aggie's Resort, Boomerang Creek, Sa'Maona. Taufua Beach fales at Lalomanu have two fales with private shower and loo, the rest are open and semi enclosed beach fales.

In most of these places, there's not really a village as such that you can visit - you will most likely be right in the middle of a village anyway. Forget about shopping or anything like that unless you are right in Apia!

I am not sure if any of these are self catering - but hopefully mareko (who lives in Samoa) will come on here and update you.

There are also possibly many other properties that might be suitable for you - hopefully others will come and tell of their experiences.

Another option might be Sinalei resort, on 'Upolu. It's quite beautiful! Not sure if you have children, but they don't accept children under 12 so that may be out for you.

Good luck!

Cheers

Tinz

Sydney
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Any recommendations on what Island to stay in Somoa?

Thank you so much for your advice, Tinz.

Do you have any preference over Savaii or Upolu?

Don't want to sound precious, but kid-free suits us well.

We're quite restricted on budget, but have negotiated and compromised on walls and a bathroom!! (I agree with you, the open fales sound wonderful!)

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any recommendations on what Island to stay in Somoa?

If it's walls and a bathroom you are after, but want budget prices, then my recommendation would be Taufua Beach Fales, at Lalomanu Beach.

There you'll get one of the best beaches in Samoa, beautiful snorkelling and diving (if you like that) and the food there is always plentiful. You will pay around WST$180 for a couple, per night, and that includes your breakfast and dinner. You pay extra for lunch if you want lunch.

That works out to be around AUD$80 a night for you both, including two meals, which is pretty cheap.

Alternatively, I don't really know of a beachfront property where you will get your own loo and shower for that kind of money. If you go to Le Lagoto on Savai'i, I think you will be looking at around AUD$280 a night for the room alone. I could be wrong ... do a bit of research and see if anyone else comes to post on here.

You ask if I have a preference - I don't prefer one island over the other, they are both beautiful and both have wonderful beaches and culture, although Savai'i is a bit more laid back. My preference on accommodation is Lalomanu though, as they have the best food and they have a great bar area with wonderful entertainment. The have a fia fia night usually a couple of times a week.

I think for the money you probably want to spend, Lalomanu will be the best value for you. It does get quite busy tho - the two fales get booked out quickly, so it would depend on when you are visiting.

If you can't get an open one, you can always try for a semi-enclosed which does have walls, but the bathroom is across the road! Truly, it's like 15 seconds walk, and is similar to going camping. Don't be a big pussy!! (kidding!!) We're getting married at Taufua in less than two months, and our family staying there range from being in their twenties, through to some in their 60's (staying in open fales) and a couple in their 60s and 70s!!

Click on my username and you will find some reviews there with pics of Lalomanu, so you can see how beautiful it is.

Fa soifua

Tinz

Sydney
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Any recommendations on what Island to stay in Somoa?

Thanks again Tinz. Great info.

Its the male half of this alliance that's the big pussy!!! Walls and ensuite, unfortunately are non-negotiable.

I'll take a look at your photos, do a bit more research, and I welcome any other suggestions.

That price range is certainly looking good.

Congrats on your approaching wedding and hope all goes well. What an amazing place to celebrate.

5. Re: Any recommendations on what Island to stay in Somoa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 pm, September 04, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Samoa
Recent Conversations