We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches on Upolu

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
145 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
Beaches on Upolu

We are off to Samoa for a short break at the end of this month. We have never been there before and are really looking forward to it. We are staying at Coconuts Beach Club. Several people have said how nice it is to hire a car, take a picnic lunch & drive to a nice beach for lunch & a swim. Are the beaches public in Samoa or do you have to go through Villages to get to them? Also, on one website it suggested one needs to be very careful when driving in Samoa and that if you have an accident you need to get yourself to a police station ASAP because if you have damaged the property of a Village they will seek retribution for it. Sort of like it can be in PNG. I have never had a motor accident that was my fault but reading this sort of thing puts you off a bit. I have driven on several other Pacific Islands inc. Easter Island and in Africa & South America so I am used to some rough & ready types of roads and interesting driving conditions!!. Can anyone throw any light on this for me?

Mentioned in this post
Samoa
Samoa
South Pacific
Coconuts Beach Club
Coconuts Beach Club
453 Reviews
Upolu, Samoa
Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches on Upolu

Talofa lava

Firstly, don't believe all you read on some of those websites! They are just scaremongering.

As long as you drive safely, the roads are absolutely fine - it's not like they are all metal roads or anything like that. Some of them are a little substandard to what we are used to in NZ, but being an experienced driver, there is no reason you would have any issues. Just drive safely :o)

Some of the beaches are private, but you will know this because you will be approached by someone to give a few tala to them. Usually between 2 and 10 tala, so just pay it willingly and you will be free to enjoy the lovely beaches, and probably a fale for shade as well.

Enjoy Samoa, and be sure to post back here and let us know how you enjoy yourselves!

Tofa soifua

Tinz

Mentioned in this post
Samoa
Samoa
South Pacific
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
145 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches on Upolu

Thank you Tinzaroo for your help! We will not worry about driving on Upolu now and will go and have a good look around especially at Lalomanu Beach which looks and sounds wonderful. I will post my comments, thoughts on Samoa after we have been there.

Mentioned in this post
Upolu
Upolu
Samoa
Lalomanu Beach
Lalomanu Beach
343 Reviews
Upolu, Samoa
Samoa
Samoa
South Pacific
Sydney
Level Contributor
37 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches on Upolu

My hubby and I cycled the 2 islands in Oct 2005 for 2 weeks.

One place you def should head out to - we got friendly with a taxi driver who told us of this place and took us there (Its a behind the main town along a doggy looking track road) -Apaula Heights Restaurant. It is open till midnight but closed Sunday and Monday.

Not only do you get a stunning view over the harbour and town, but you also get fantastic food - I had my first Lobster for about $20 - beautiful. We would have had dinner there every night if we had found out about it - way better than Aggie's where we did dine.

It is run by a Samon lady that lived in Melbourne for a while.

Fia Fia night at Aggies is great - get up front and as soon as the inside show looks finishing, grab a pool chair as the show then moves out to around the pool for about 15 mins.

We LOVED and would have stayed the entire time at Litia Sini 'Beach Resort' in Laiomanu - beautiful beach, snorkling great, food wonderful, family so welcoming. Only left as we said we would see all of samoa. Not your traditional 'resort' as its basic fala's but so perfect.

Also stayed at Virgin Cove - at another 'resort'. We got a private Fala that was with its own cove and was alot of fun. Very basic, but again beautiful food, people, accomodation etc

With driving - just watch the pigs - and cows as we had a few near misses, but we were cycling and they probably didn't hear us. But it was all part of the Samoan thing

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Litia Sini Beach Resort
Litia Sini Beach Resort
407 Reviews
Upolu, Samoa
4. Re: Beaches on Upolu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 pm, September 01, 2009