We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carp Island resort?yap diving

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Carp Island resort?yap diving

can anyone recommend this resort or anyone have any other suggestions for me...thnks a million...I am going to go mid May...

Palau Pacific Resort
Palau Pacific Resort
#1 of 32 hotels in Koror
Palau Central Hotel
Palau Central Hotel
#2 of 32 hotels in Koror
COVE Resort Palau
COVE Resort Palau
#3 of 32 hotels in Koror
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carp Island resort?yap diving

We are plannig a similar trip for August. Please post your opinion when you get back. Thanks

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carp Island resort?yap diving

Go to Caroline's Resort in Palau, forget Carp Island. If you want to be closer to the dive sites, stay on Peleliu at Storyboard Beach Resort. Carp Island is overrated, overly commercial, immpersonal and completely oriented towards catering to Japanese divers with 2,000+ logged dives. In fact, if you are not Japanese, expect to be mostly ignored. They are not very environmentally conscious (drag their anchors across the pristine reefs, don't require reef hooks, etc..). Their idea of safety is warped (they require life jackets on the 1 hour trip to the resort from mainland but let you run out of air when you are diving).

You can do much better than Carp Island no matter what kind of budget you are on.

Mentioned in this post
Palau
Palau
South Pacific
Carp Island Resort
Carp Island Resort
108 Reviews
Koror Island, Palau
Peleliu
Peleliu
41 Reviews
Palau
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carp Island resort?yap diving

wow, thank you for your advice...I do appreciate it...

Judy

CT
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Carp Island resort?yap diving

I actually didn't think that Carp was that bad. It was a great place to relax; I didn't do any of their pay activities, because they were way too overpriced, but I had a wonderful time reading by the beach, hiking the trails to discover the Yapese stone money and hidden beaches, and walking over to the other rock islands during low tide. If you get there during the right time during the moon cycle (I forget when it was...either the half moon or the new moon....ask them), you can walk out to the end of the dock during nightfall and watch a brilliant show of luminescence in the water. That was spectacular.

HI
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Carp Island resort?yap diving

Here's what I would suggest. Try supporting the local businesses (from hotels and restaurants). Experience the culture (as well) while you're visiting.

I read reviews about Carp. It's unfortunate that some people didn't think much of it. If you're an educator, visit the island (be adventurous), then make suggestions about how to improve the quality of your exerience. It's always nice to help others and be part of a change. Get to know the staff and other tourists. Make suggestions (not complaints) to make your stay enjoyable.

HI
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Carp Island resort?yap diving

While you're visiting Micronesia, stop in Yap. They have beautiful culture. Get your moneys worth of experience and enjoy your trip. Don't let one bad experience ruin your trip (e.g. airline service, loss of luggage) or everyone elses. Check out their flowers and crafts. Learning about other culture is exciting. That's very important. When you visit the small islands (Palau or Yap). Respect the culture and they will respond better. Try some local food as well.

Enjoy

Mentioned in this post
Palau
Palau
South Pacific
HI
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Carp Island resort?yap diving

This is an interesting article which might help you with your trip to Palau.

query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html…

It's from New York Times.

Mentioned in this post
Palau
Palau
South Pacific
Boston...
Level Contributor
52 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Carp Island resort?yap diving

A great place to stay on Palau is the Palau Plantation Resort (this is not the same thing as Palau PACIFIC resort). Very nice and warm, also close to town. Try diving with the Fish n' Fins staff. Carolines is a nice place but kind of out of the way, and now that they no longer offer a free shuttle maybe not the best choice, also the rooms can have many bamboo bugs that require frequent applications of "RAID" bug spray.

When in Yap you should stay at Pathways Hotel, a great local run hotel with private air conditioned bungalows set on the side of a hill. Very close to Trader's Ridge and Manta Dive operations.

Cultural tour on Palau can be arranged through Fish n' Fins, and on Yap, John at Pathways gives an amazing Island tour.

Have a great trip.

Mentioned in this post
Palau
Palau
South Pacific
Palau Plantation Resort
Palau Plantation Resort
163 Reviews
Koror Island, Palau
Palau Pacific Resort
Palau Pacific Resort
854 Reviews