We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Latest reports on Niue

Canberra
Level Contributor
10 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Latest reports on Niue

We are travelling to Niue in October and would love to hear from people who have stayed on the Island recently?

thanks travellercanberra

Christchurch
Level Contributor
33 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Latest reports on Niue

Hi TC

Going to Niue 14-28 Sept (month to-day) - will try and get a post on before you go - when in Oct you going, have you been there before, where are you staying?

Cheers

Maril2

Canberra
Level Contributor
10 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Latest reports on Niue

Hi Maril2

thank you so very much n it would be wonderful to hear what you have to say when you return. We will be travelling 19-27 Oct and it is our first time to Niue staying at the Matavai Resort.

Thank you again - hope you have a nice time on your travels - cheers

Christchurch
Level Contributor
33 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Latest reports on Niue

Hi TC

That should give me enough time to get a post out (all things being equal) That said, I will make a concerted effort to have it posted by the 10th Oct. - so watch this space from around 5-10th Oct.

We are also staying at the Matavai (stayed there before and it was great) so should be able to give you full up-date on that - anything in particular you are looking for?

Cheers

Maril2

Canberra
Level Contributor
10 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Latest reports on Niue

Thanks Marli2 - hope you have a wonderful trip, Niue looks like it will be a great place to relax and unwind. We look forward to your update - and don't panic we will not leave OZ until 19 Oct so hopefully you have some time to place an update.

cheers Jan (TC)

Alofi Niue
Level Contributor
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Latest reports on Niue

I live in Niue myself, I am Niuean, I cannot really say much on what is Niue like? some tourists who came here says that Niue is best to be kept like that, a secret, so until you gets here...Niue have a lot to offer you not as a visitor but as a friend.

Tauranga, New...
Level Contributor
29 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Latest reports on Niue

Have just posted my report on Niue from my holiday at the beginning of Aug. As you will see, we loved it!

Come back to me with any questions.

Regards

Christchurch
Level Contributor
33 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Latest reports on Niue

Hi TC

Sorry for the delay in post but work has been getting in the way - I am sure you know how it is.

Just before I get into my version, I would like to say 1) thank you to Jeggles for painting the bigger picture, and 2) I concur with all that he has said.

Herewith a report of our holiday, which hopefully fills in some of the smaller "bits".

Once again Niue did not disappoint, and provided us with exactly what we wanted in a holiday. That said there were some "low lights" and I will cover then now to get them out of the way.

"Low lights"

1) Time of the flights to and from Niue

2) Other guests.

A bit of consideration in relation to late night noise, by some other guests would have been nice. (Maybe we just struck it un-lucky on that one)

Ok guys - now to the positive stuff, and in no real particular order.

1) Niue

It's self. Loved it. Again, all the charm of real Polynesia. As Jeggles said, not every ones cup of tea but, lovely, lovely people and an all round great place.

2) The weather.

We were very lucky with the weather. Arrived to rain, but the next 14 day were fine, except one night were we had a very heavy down pour, but other wise fine - temps 24c at night, 34c day. In fact coming from NZ I never thought I would say thank goodness for cloud or wind, but both were very welcome. That said, still came home brown as a berry.

3) Niue dive.

All I can say about Ian and Annie is, lovely people, who can memorize names like you won't believe. If the whales are there when you are, get you butts down to Niue Dive (at the bend between the two blocks of units at the Matavai, is a short cut to Niue Dive. It is well sign posted and you can't miss it) for the best show in town. Ian was fantastic in getting my daughter into the water to swim with the whales, and when they (mother, daughter and bull) went past us about about 10 ft, well - how good is that? One of the best NZ$70.00's I have spent in my life - well, well worth it. I guess I should say that it was luck of the draw, and that the whales are not on demand, but Ian put us in the perfect spot for the perfect view this time. (Should you read this Ian and Annie, once again many thanks and all the very best - you guys deserve it)

4) Misa's nature tour.

A must do. Have always wanted to make fire by rubbing two pieces of wood together - did it. Misa's passion for nature is just fantastic.

5) Tali's Cave tour.

Another must do.

6) Wash-away Cafe.

On a Sunday, nip down to Avatele and the wash-away cafe for the best bugers. Have a chat with Willie - he is a great guy, with some great stories about Niue.

7) Breakfast at the Crazy Uga (pronunced ung-a) in Alofi (opposite the police station. Down the sea track just to the north of the cafe is great swimming at low tide.

Another one of Willes places, with great food.

8) A night at Jenna's

Real Island food.

9) Visit

Avaiki, Limu, Matapa, Talava, Togo, Anapala.

10) Fishing

Arrange a fishing trip with Willie - caught some great fish.

General comments.

1) Hire some wheels - car or motor bike - this will help "get around" and enable you to see most of what Niue has to offer. We went with Alofi rentals - no problems. Willie also hires out cars.

2) The Matavai is starting to "run down" and unless a weekly/monthly/6 monthly/annual maintenance programme is put in place soon, tourists will start staying at the smaller, but better maintained places. That said it is still not bad, but something needs to be done - you will see what I mean when you get there. Staff - great, and if you have any problems, talk to Marie.

3) Wave

As you go past people - it is just the way it is there, and besides you will meet most of those people while you are there.

Guys - I could go on for hours, but I think you get the drift that we enjoyed ourselves once again.

As a final word, if you look for what Niue has to offer, you will have a great time, with as little or as much as you want to do.

Have a great trip, and if you have any questions before you go, please let me know. I trust this is of some help to you.

Best regards.

Maril2

P.S . Check out Tamakautoga (just past the church turn towards the sea and go down the hill, until you come across the car park. Park there and walk down the steps to the best spot in Niue. Low tide is best)

Heg
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Latest reports on Niue

Another great report. It's so good to have so much feedback from people who have actually been. We are off to Niue on Friday for a week and this information will come in very handy. Thanks for posting.

Christchurch
Level Contributor
33 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Latest reports on Niue

Hi Meg

Sorry the post was not as long as Jeggles, as I could have gone on for hours (except for the fact that I had to go to work this morning, hence ....) Anyway thanks for your comments and enjoy :-)

Cheers

Maril2

Canberra
Level Contributor
10 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Latest reports on Niue

Hi Maril2

Thanks so much for your great report - we are counting the sleeps to Niue for sure and hope to have a great time there also!

Will drop you a line when we return with the outcome!

Re the car hire - did you hire a vehicle for the whole time you were on Niue or only part of the time - is there any need to book this ahead of time? Does the Matavai Resort have 'washing' facilities - silly question I know but after Niue we will head back to NZ for a further stay and it would be good to be able to wash items etc prior to part 2 of our trip?

again thank you for your comments and report - all of which is very useful - cheers TC

Get answers to your questions about Alofi
Recent Conversations
More Alofi Topics