We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food Nuie

Wellsford, New...
Level Contributor
95 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Food Nuie

Hi!

My husband and I are going to Niue for a week in June. Does anyone know whether you can take food with you and if so what do you recommend taking?

Canterbury, NZ
Level Contributor
87 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food Nuie

Hi Tina

We haven't been to Niue yet but planning to in 2015. Have you had a look on the Niue internet site as it has full of info on it and FAQ . I think you can take any food but a couple of things!!!! http://www.niueisland.com/faq Good luck with your research and hope you have a great time!!!!

Regards Janice

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,532 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food Nuie

You can take pretty much everything, apart from honey. It's a bit hard to be specific about what to take, as the stores there do sell a good range of products, but sometimes run out of stuff before the monthly supply boat. I suggest taking any food that you particularly like and wouldn't want to do without for a week.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
6,916 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food Nuie

As others have said you can take just about anything except honey. We were amazed at the chilly bins loaded onto the plane in NZ. And it is one flight where carry on luggage really needs strict policing!

If the ferry is late coming in to drop off supplies the supermarket can be really low on stock. No milk, no diary, not even chips. There isnt a lot of produce to buy at road side stalls either as it is their winter so things like fresh tropical fruit wasnt in supply. Even the coconut stall was closed! the ferry was three weeks late while we were last there. But the restaurants and cafes all still produced wonderful food so you wont starve!

The local fish is devine. a small tub of dip was $15 at the supermarket so its a great idea to take any snacks you want. Vege snacks would be great to satisfy the vege need. We also took nuts and bars to eat when we were out and about.

Are you self catering or planning on eating out?

Waitakere City, New...
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,589 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food Nuie

Hi Tina, as has been said - anything goes bar honey. We took a heap of fresh greens for salads etc, that was a really good move on our part and we took meat also a good idea as meat there is expensive, limited in variety and not of particularly good quality (directly referring to what is available for sale to the public for self catering, not what you may eat in a restaurant or cafe). Basic items (well, basic to us from NZ) such as potatoes and onions were in short supply or completely sold out. Other things to note is to always check the dates on imported luxury type items you might consider buying once there such as cheese (brie, Camembert etc) or you're likely to get caught out with food past its date. Also expect to pay through the nose if you suddenly decide you fancy something like tacos for dinner and, again, check the date! Things like pasta are better taken with you if you're a fan of pasta meals. Herbs, spices etc can be taken (I always make sure that things of that nature are in commercially labeled packets). If you decide to take meat go to a good butcher and explain you'll be traveling overseas with it and need to have it vacuum packed, they should be happy to do this for you. It travels better and lasts well without the need to freeze it once there and no concerns about defrosting meat for dinner. This is a destination where it's a good idea to book each fare with checked luggage if you're going to be self catering, food items add up in weight quickly. Don't forget a chilly bag of some description for you chilled items and if you're staying at an airport hotel the night prior to travel make sure it has a fridge and get all your meat and dairy produce thoroughly chilled (as in set the fridge thermostat to its coolest setting) so that when you pack it into it's chilly bag the next morning it's bordering on frozen cold. Remember that the same rules apply in regard to carry on luggage as on any other flight so pack all liquids (and this includes pastes such as Vegemite and packets of things like olives, dried tomatoes etc if they are in oil) in your checked luggage.

Where are you staying? Namukulu Cottages was excellent for us, Brian and Teressa are lovely hosts and they have a small amount of grocery (and other) items for sale which helps when you hit an emergency situation such as running out of soft drink for the duty free. ;-)

Waitakere City, New...
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,589 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food Nuie

Just remembered something... I took lemons (and felt pretty stupid to be taking fruit to a tropical island) but you can not get them there so it turned out to be an excellent idea after all.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
6,916 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food Nuie

The cafes and restaurants were all very good so dont feel you have to self cater for lack of options. Check out the TA reviews tripadvisor.co.nz/Restaurants-g294132-Alofi.…

the Kai Ika is a must for superb sushi and pizza. Washaway Cafe is only open on

sunday and is totally unique and a must visit on the islands. Crazy Uga have the best lunch and coffee . Matavai Resort buffet nights, fish and chips, and restaurant was all good. It has the most stunning scenery for a lovely meal so be sure to visit there as well. We enjoyed the local cafes and restaurants, but took our own snacks.

Waitakere City, New...
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,589 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food Nuie

I agree poppynz, Kai Ika has fabulous fresh sushi but just a word of caution regarding Washaway Cafe, it's a great place, full of character, but for anyone inclined on the fussy side (not me by the way, I was okay with it) it could be a wee bit disconcerting. The tables are at a premium so when one group leaves you need to grab one, no clean up in between is what we experienced and the food, well yummy, repeated on my hubby quite badly.

Still very worth checking out though, it's all part of the very special Niue vibe and scene.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
6,916 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food Nuie

Dianz, we found washaway cafe awesome, and I think the number of people who visit is in an indication of the great place. I suggest you do a review so you can share your experiences with fellow travellers on TA. It is rataed the number 2 place to eat in Niue and extremely highly rated 4.5/5 stars.

All the food we had was great in restaurants, but we enjoy fish!

Waitakere City, New...
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,589 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food Nuie

Yes, I can agree with that Poppy, I'd give them five stars for atmosphere and the local vibe and if others find the food great there as well... all good.

10. Re: Food Nuie

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 pm, May 15, 2016
Get answers to your questions about Niue