We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buses, supermarkets on Christmas day?

Auckland
8 posts
Save Topic
Buses, supermarkets on Christmas day?

Hi Guys

Bonjour

We will be arriving to Noumea Airport on Christmas day 25/12/07.

Is public transport operates on public holiday? what about basic stuff from the supermarket?

I understand from other discussions that buses from the airport cost 400 pc francs and shutles around 3000. we need to get to Anse Vata from the airport; Any tips from local residents?

Thanks a lot. Will appreciate your input

Cheers

Kiwiboy

Toulouse, France
Destination Expert
for New Caledonia
Level Contributor
837 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buses, supermarkets on Christmas day?

---- Bus ----

I don't know for public holiday, I would say that it runs on the weekend timetable. You can have a look at their website: http://www.gietcn.nc/ or ask the tourism office: www.newcaledoniatourism-south.com/contact/

From airport, you'll have to choose between 3000CFP for an "airport to hotel" shuttle, or the Carsud bus (400CFP) to the Noumea Montravel station and then the line 7 (orange) Karuia bus to Anse Vata (170CFP at vending machines, 200CFP onboard the bus). These buses are confortable, but the trip is much longer (1 or 2 hours instead of 30~45 minutes).

Moreover, shuttles leaves after each plane arrival, whereas you'll have to wait a bit with public transportation.

As you are arriving with the AirNZ 09:15 flight (I think), you'll have the choice between both options.

You can also find a map of the Karuia network here : newcaledoniatourism-south.com/transportation…

---- Supermarkets ----

The biggers (Géant, Carrefour and some others) will be open at least on the morning. You will find there products from Australia, NZ, France (and even New Caledonia!) at good prices.

Auckland
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Buses, supermarkets on Christmas day?

Hi Nico nc

Thanks a lot for the comprehensive info. I will check the links you provided.

For car rental, must I go through the major agencies or do you have in NC small operators with older cars at cheaper rates?

Because here in NZ, you have the choice between the latest rental cars from big agencies at top dollar rates, but also a lot of small car yards with 5-6 years old cars at 10 -15 dollars a day.

Thank you for your time. I really appreciate your active participation in this forum and the abundant info you provide to fellow travelers.

Kiwi

Toulouse, France
Destination Expert
for New Caledonia
Level Contributor
837 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buses, supermarkets on Christmas day?

Hi,

I think all the rental cars are recent, as the major agencies change them regularly, and the small operators too (or they have opened just few years ago), even in the islands (Isle of Pines, Loyalty Islands). So you won't get a bargain on this.

To save some money, think if you need unlimited kilometers or not. If yes, book online at Hertz, Avis or something else (and compare between their French/NZ/US websites, there can be huge differences!). If you don't need unlimited, go to a smaller operator with "pay-per-km", eg. Discount Rental on Anse Vata (and at Tontouta Airport), you have a (not so) small car for 1000CFP/day + 30CFP/km.

Auckland
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Buses, supermarkets on Christmas day?

Bonjour nico nc

A big thank you for your help.

Since we are planning to spend 10 days in Noumea, we will go on 'reconaissance tour' the first few days and then we will rent a car for a drive around the main island.

Cheers

Kiwiboy

Auckland
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Buses, supermarkets on Christmas day?

Salut nico nc

The smith voyage agency who does transfers from Tontouta to Noumea has a special price for couples at 5000 CFP . http://smithvoyage.lagoon.nc/french.htm

The only problem is that they don’t reply to reservations. The link takes you to a hotmail address and I can only guess that the reservations are lost among the tons of spam.

I hope they are reading these posts and act accordingly.

A mon avis c’est un meilleur prix, puisque les prix sont en général 3000CFP par personne, surtout le Jour de Noël. Le problème c’est l’incertitude étant donner qu’ils ne répondent même pas aux messages de réservations :)

Cordialement

Kiwiboy auckland

6. Re: Buses, supermarkets on Christmas day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, September 13, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Noumea