We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for Mt Wilhelm Trek partner(s) September 2012

Which Port Moresby hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Masserac, France
Level Contributor
5 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for Mt Wilhelm Trek partner(s) September 2012

Single female traveller looking to do the Mt Wilhelm trek after the Goroka Sing-Sing in September, but a solo trek is very expensive. Looking for someone to join to keep costs down. The dates for the trek would be 17 – 20 September 2012 departing from Goroka on Monday 17th, returning to Goroka on the 20th. Flying to Port Moresby on the 20th late afternoon to continue trip. Trip costs for two are 3240 PGK or 1530 USD, for three sharing 3000 PGK or 1416 USD. Costs include full-board accommodation (1 night lodge, 1 night base camp, 1 night lodge, vehicle fees, park fees, porter and guide) Contact cb@bestofpng.com for more information

Lae
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for Mt Wilhelm Trek partner(s) September 2012

Have you gone that trip?

Burlingame, CA
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for Mt Wilhelm Trek partner(s) September 2012

I HAVE gone, Gemba R, and I had a great time. :) Made it to the summit and back safely, and was wowed by what I saw when I got there. The climb was truly challenging (steep and muddier than other peaks I've ascended), but it was worth the effort. Also unlike some other mountains I've climbed, there weren't a whole lot of other people on the mountain at the same time that our group of six fearless ladies was--and that made the whole experience all the more adventurous and yet peaceful, as well.

The climbing outfitter that led us up was really spectacular: very professional, knowledgeable and capable of instilling confidence in us climbers. They were also well-equipped with personnel: each of us had our very own guide and porter in a one-to-one-to-one ratio. That's luxurious! (I made all my arrangements with Christopher Bartlett at Best of PNG: http://www.bestofpng.com/ The guy is incredible; you can put your whole vacation in his hands and have nothing to worry about.)

What else can I say? The food was great, the accommodations welcoming, the 4x4 ride up from Goroka hair-raising in an exciting way...I'd really recommend it to anyone who wants to get off the beaten path and climb what is a real undiscovered gem of the mountain world. Enjoy!

Adelaide, South...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for Mt Wilhelm Trek partner(s) September 2012

I wish I was there. Kegesugl my village is directly below Mt. Wilhelm before you begin the ascend.

I climbed it 14 times since high school. I gathered you live in California. I climbed Mt. San Jacinto, San Gorgonio Peak, and Mt. Whitney in the Sierra Nevada range. I spent 8 years there and 3 years in California for grad school and work. Next time you come here, let me know. I will arrange personal tours for you at much less the cost you've paid. In fact, you don't have to pay for accomodation and even transport. My experience in the U.S. was nothing more than fantastic and super memorable. I wouldn't have come this far without the good, caring, and benevolent people in your country who gave me a helping hand along the way. vincent.kumura@gmail.com is my e-mail in case you decided to head down to South Pacific again. Glad you enjoyed your visit to my country and climbed my mountain. Hope you'll come again. Be well. Vincent.

Edited: 2:50 am, October 21, 2013
4. Re: Looking for Mt Wilhelm Trek partner(s) September 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 am, June 05, 2015