We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New early flight time - how early to POM?

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,765 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
New early flight time - how early to POM?

Air Niugini has pulled a fast one on us! They have changed our flight from 1pm to 6:20am!! And I paid for a non refundable night at Loloata Island Resort. Stupid me. What is the latest I can arrive at the airport to fly to GUR? The resort is insisting we arrive 2 hours early - but it is a non international, 1 hour flight to Alotau. Do I really need to be there that early - I was thinking of showing up at 5:30am. They want us to leave the resort at 3:30 - JEEZ!!!! Any opinions? Thank you!

Woodford, Australia
Level Contributor
235 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New early flight time - how early to POM?

In simple terms, yes you need to be there that early. If the lunchtime flight is cancelled there is a big likelihood that the 6.20 am flight will be hopelessly overbooked. If you get there late you stand a very high chance of being bumped. If you get there very very early you have a better chance. Everyone in PNG knows about this and the vast majority of pax will be there very early, hoping to get on.

Cheers skip

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,765 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New early flight time - how early to POM?

Ugh, well not what I wanted to hear, but thank you for the frank advice.

The Dancer Fleet encouraged us to overnight at the Loloata, when I really wanted to stay at Airways. Let this serve as a warning to others overnighting in POM - stay near the airport, because flights are always changing!

Thanks Skip for answering all my various questions - less than a week! Woohoo!

3. Re: New early flight time - how early to POM?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, November 23, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Port Moresby