We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port Moresby Airport

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Port Moresby Airport

I (female) will be travelling with my young daughter next week from Brisbane to POM and then onto Lae. I am a little worried looking like I don't belong and being an easy target. Is it easy to navigate from the International Terminal then to the Domestic Terminal?

Thanks

Rustypup1

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
548 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Port Moresby Airport

Yes it is don't worry.

Make sure you do your check-in for the Lae connection once you have cleared immigration (still inside the arrivals hall), then once you get to the domestic terminal you can go straight through to the departure lounge.

When you are walking between the terminals my best advise is to - walk with purpose - I always did this and never had any problems. If people greet you just answer with a brief hello and keep walking.

There will be airport security at both the domestic and international terminal doors.

London
Level Contributor
15 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Port Moresby Airport

As noted in the reply above its really easy to get from the International to Domestic terminal. I just did this in December. If you have a long wait between the flights, after checking in for the domestic sector (at the International terminal) go up the escalators to the cafe at the international terminal. It was a lot more pleasant and had a lot more variety for food and drink than down at the domestic terminal where I think the food outlet was closed. There is a small TV to watch as well. It was not as crowded either.

You shouldn't have any problems walking between the terminals - you come straight out of the international terminal turn right and you can see the domestic terminal ahead of you on the same side of the road. The vast majority of people are very friendly and if you are polite and just keep walking no one should hassle you and you shouldn't have any problems at all in the actual terminal buildings.

Have a great trip and enjoy it!!

Woodford, Australia
Level Contributor
235 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Port Moresby Airport

Hi Rustypup

I don''t need to repeat the good advice about where to go but would emphasise that the terminals are small and a very short walk apart - the two terminals AND the gap between them are smaller in size than Brisbane Domestic terminal.

You may have heard of the (numerous) thefts and (rare) carjackings - these occur in the carparks which are on a separate level to the terminals and not relevant.

The security risks are far greater getting from Nadzab airport to Lae - see the travel advice on smarttraveller.gov.au. Do you have transport at that end?

Cheers skip

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Port Moresby Airport

Thanks all for your posts.

I have been to PNG and all was OK. The POM airport was fine, the distance between the two terminals was very short and I made sure I walked quickly. The day I was there, there was not many people hanging around outside. My husband met me at Nabzad, so all OK again.

The biggest problem was the scheduling of the planes from POM and the screens not being updated with regular flight info. Very confusing!

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
548 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Port Moresby Airport

Glad to hear all went well, now what were your thoughts on Lae and PNG in general?

6. Re: Port Moresby Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 13, 2010