We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A couple of spare afternoons in Port Moresby

London, United...
Level Contributor
212 posts
59 reviews
77 helpful votes
A couple of spare afternoons in Port Moresby

Hi

I'm coming for a conference soon and will have two spare afternoons, so just wondering what would be people's recommendations for something to see or visit each afternoon?

Ideally one museum, and then perhaps the second afternoon somewhere just outside town that I could get driven to?

Yes I know I could google but I'd rather have people's recommendations.

I'm assuming I can arrange a guide and transport through my hotel.

Not really my main question as "security" seems to be a top theme when you look up Port Moresby, but would I be OK wandering round on my own downtown in the daytime, or do I really need to be as cautious as the internet seems to suggest. (Not talking night time of course). I have travelled a lot in Africa and like to be "sensible without being paranoid" but just can't tell in advance with port Moresby.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Edited: 3:34 am, October 08, 2018
2 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
424 posts
2 reviews
7 helpful votes
1. Re: A couple of spare afternoons in Port Moresby

the national museum is fantastic - it should now be re-opened but do check - it is next to the parliament building which is also interesting - there is usually someone there to give a short or long tour

the nature park is fun and the bomana war memorial is moving and memorable

the downtown area is interesting and safe in the day to walk around - just be cautious and sensible

elsewhere i would be very careful when walking around eg if you want to visit a big market

just make sure you are safe back home long before it is getting dark

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
142 posts
62 reviews
23 helpful votes
2. Re: A couple of spare afternoons in Port Moresby

I was there 2 weeks ago. Staff in my hotel told me that the museum was closed.

Visited the nature park and really enjoyed it. Also enjoyed a short visit to the fish market to see the catch of the day.

Reply to: A couple of spare afternoons in Port Moresby
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted