We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where did Sanctum movie on Papua?

Sankt-Peterburg
Level Contributor
104 posts
8 reviews
Where did Sanctum movie on Papua?

Hello!

I saw movie Sanctum and were impressed!

Place where it was made is very beatiful and great

After it, I started to find a place where film was made.

I found that it is Esa'ala Cave which locates on Papua New Guinea.

I searched photos on Google Earth and just photos by tourists.

But I did not find nothing.

If somebody know about this place and coordinates.

I will be very grateful to you.

Thank you.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
496 posts
24 reviews
1. Re: Where did Sanctum movie on Papua?

Hello SaleSeo,

Esa'ala is a district within the Milne Bay Province here in PNG.

It's made up of several large (and many smaller) islands, and I'm thinking that the caves you might be referring to are actually on Fergusson Island, within Esa'ala. It will most likely be Fergusson or Dobu, as most of the islands in Milne Bay (and beyond) have substantial caves anyway. I haven't seen the movie myself, but the below link will point you in the direction of all things Milne Bay, and you can contact people on that tourism site to determine exactly on which Island your particular cave/s might be.

You may need to be aware that several companies may also have mining leases on these islands, and permission may just be needed to access certain areas.

www.angelfire.com/mb2/milnebay/facts.html

Anyway, I think this should narrow down your search a fair bit, and if you need a further hand, let us know.

Cheers, and good luck.

Rick

Kaenz & PNG

2. Re: Where did Sanctum movie on Papua?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:16 am, June 26, 2011
Sankt-Peterburg
Level Contributor
104 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Where did Sanctum movie on Papua?

Dear MadsDad

Thank you for reply!

I understood your message

It is very important information for me.

I will write request about trip to there.

It is strange, but I did not find any information about fly to PNG

Where is a big airport where I can took a ticket for a plane to PNG

I live in Russia

May be it is in Paris or Germany

Thank you!

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
496 posts
24 reviews
4. Re: Where did Sanctum movie on Papua?

Hello SaleSeo,

If you can find your way to somewhere in Asia, it might be easier for you.

The International airport (Jacksons) is in Port Moresby, the capital of PNG, and to get there can take a little bit of juggling with flights.

Singapore/Manilla have direct flights to POM (Port Moresby), and we also have direct flights in from Australia, but if you wanted to come in from St.Petersburg, you might have to focus on getting to somewhere close to this part of the world first.

It would be very expensive to try to book direct flights from France/Germany etc. but I do know that Air Asia have cheap flights from that part of the world to Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) and Singapore.

If you get onto the Air Asia website, and see if you want to organise yourself a flight to Singapore, then you can take it from there. SIN-POM-SIN etc.

If you get to PNG, you would then have to travel (air again) to Alotau, in Milne Bay to find your cave/s. This might be a time-consuming venture, so I hope you're prepared for long flights just to get to P.N.G. for starters.

Cheers,

Rick

OZ & PNG

Sankt-Peterburg
Level Contributor
104 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Where did Sanctum movie on Papua?

Thank You very much!

I will be reading this information!

Bristol, United...
2 posts
1 review
6. Re: Where did Sanctum movie on Papua?

i have seen the movie and i don't no if you no that the huge cave they go/jump in to for their expedition is NOT in papua new guinea at all but in mexico and is known as the cave of swallows the worlds biggest cave hole.

Sankt-Peterburg
Level Contributor
104 posts
8 reviews
7. Re: Where did Sanctum movie on Papua?

It is strange, becouse there is place in Papua

I found a place on maps like this cave

If we watch film again, we can see that there are tropical forest and land like Papua region.

Maybe I had a mistake

Bristol, United...
2 posts
1 review
8. Re: Where did Sanctum movie on Papua?

please do watch the movie again to help you out but also research the cave i spoke of which appears in the movie as the cave they explore.

so far i have worked out that this movie is not filmed where the story makes out but in various caves and made up sets.

research the cave of swallows, san luis potosi, mexico.

you will find that the cave is surrounded by vast vegetation and lush green forest, the scale of this hole is breathtakingly impressive.

the landscape which surrounds is most probably like that of the papua region.

Sankt-Peterburg
Level Contributor
104 posts
8 reviews
9. Re: Where did Sanctum movie on Papua?

It news broke my heart

Could you show this place on google maps?

Tangerang, Indonesia
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
10. Re: Where did Sanctum movie on Papua?

Yap, Me too looking for Esa'ala Cave. I've watch that film "Sanctum". Really amazing place and i should have to visit that cave. If you found some resource and guideline please share with me without hesitation. Thanks in advance.