We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do for the next 3 weeks?

alberta, canada
Level Contributor
131 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
What to do for the next 3 weeks?

So my husband an I are headed to Paraguay on a few weeks vacation, and haven't really made any plans. We couldn't get a visa for Brazil in time for our flight to Sao Paulo, so rather then lose the flights we added flights in/out of Asuncion.

I'm wondering if there is any special events, such as festivals or rodeos, happening anywhere in the coming weeks? Small town events are usually really fun to attend and give you a more interesting time, so I'd be interested in anything happening anywhere in Paraguay before Feb 18th.

I have read in the guide book that Encarnacion has a carnaval party on Saturday and Sunday nights, so we would like to do that. Any advise on what's going on?

We would also like to see Igazu falls since it is relatively close and we have lots of time, but without having a visa for Brazil is it better to cross to Posada from Encarnacion and take a bus up the Argentina side, or as some guide books say you can catch a bus from Ciudad de Este direct to the Argentina side without going through Brazil immigration?

Cheers,

Alison

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do for the next 3 weeks?

Hi Alison:

I don't know if you are aware but you also need a visa to enter Paraguay. My wife is Canadian and we are on the fence about going to Paraguay because how complicated it is to get it. Also, you need to pay a reciprocity fee to get into Argentina. It is easy to get it at the airport if you are flying into Buenos Aires, but you need to pay it in advance and take proof of payment with you before trying to enter the country.

alberta, canada
Level Contributor
131 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do for the next 3 weeks?

The visa is payable on arrival in Paraguay since 2012, just need a 2" picture and a bank statement. Already bought and printed the reprecosity fee for Argentina so I'll post how it goes.

alberta, canada
Level Contributor
131 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do for the next 3 weeks?

The visa is payable on arrival in Paraguay since 2012, just need a 2" picture and a bank statement. Already bought and printed the reprecosity fee for Argentina so I'll post how it goes.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do for the next 3 weeks?

The visa is only given on arrival if you are traveling by air. If you enter by land you have to get it ahead of time.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do for the next 3 weeks?

The carnaval de Encarnacion is a lot of fun, check this website http://www.carnavalencarnaceno.com/home/

It is in spanish, but you can use the translate function to help you. It starts at the end of January and run for 4 weeks, I understand that the city of Encarnacion is great to visit during this time of the year, but it might get a bit busy during the carnaval.

Enjoy!

6. Re: What to do for the next 3 weeks?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 31, 2015