We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this a worthwhile place to visit

Which Georgetown hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Harrison Township...
Level Contributor
8 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
Is this a worthwhile place to visit

My husband and I are thinking about spending a few days here in Oct. He is originally from this area,but left when he was 11. I was born and raised in US. My main concern if regarding the safety of this city, ie- I realize to stay away from bad areas, but in general is it safe for an American to visit? I've been to Egypt in '07 and felt very safe there. We have also visited Barbados, felt a little less sfe there and really didn't like it, wouldn't return, very expensive.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,116 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Is this a worthwhile place to visit

If you are in good health any good trip insurance policy will have you covered for the things you mention. If you aren't sure then take the time to read the fine print of the policy or have your insurance agent explain it to you. Insurance policies vary from one country to another.

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
260 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Is this a worthwhile place to visit

Travel insurance is never required for a journey... but it's worth noting that there are very few medical resources in Guyana's interior regions. The clinics in Georgetown can triage an emergency case but for a serious condition you'll likely want to be evacuated to Miami for western-standard medical care. Travel insurance will help cover the significant cost of chartering air transport if that's required, but getting from a remote jungle region to a first-world doctor will still be a 24++ hour affair.

I have spent two nights in a Georgetown hospital myself and assisted another traveller with a serious but non life-threatening medical issue, so I've seen this issue first-hand.

It's not the natural risks (snakes, etc) or the lack of western-standard care that would concern me as a risk manager... it's the lengthy and complicated series of arrangements required to get to fully qualified medical assistance. This leads me to strongly recommend

a) carrying a good first aid kit with you for any journey to the interior;

b) travel insurance so that the massive ($100K + USD) air evacuation expense would not be a limiting factor if critical urgent care were actually required.

new york
Level Contributor
98 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Is this a worthwhile place to visit

I concur with the last advice on this matter. Processes and services are not only bureaucratic, they are very antiquated. I guess this can be said of many developing countries. You need a good dose of common and practical sense when traveling into the hinterlands. Unless you are into extreme adventures, don't venture into the off beaten paths and very remote areas alone. Join a reputable group/guide who may carry basic first aid kits. not shorevif they are first responder trained, but let us hope. Safety from criminals and safety from acts of nature should always be part of your planning. Hospitals in Guyana and primarily public hospitals are an enter at your own risk kind of deal.

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
260 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Is this a worthwhile place to visit

I should follow up to just say that my stay at the Baswant Singh clinic was hardly a luxury affair, but I walked away with a $450 tab for services I later received (for a nearly duplicate episode) at a US hospital which billed my insurance for more than $10,000. The doctors treating me in the US reviewed my CT scans and other records from the Georgetown clinic and told me the care and reporting and imaging were top-notch. Just for perspective...

brooklyn
Level Contributor
4 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Is this a worthwhile place to visit

Hey I am from Guyana, and I can tell you overall it is safe. Just hang around decent and reliable people who knows the city. Let me tell you, I have visited jamaica before, where I felt scared for my life and very unsafe when I ventured out from the tourism area to go to the supermarket. Yet I hear people talking about visiting jamaica. I never want to go back to that place. I did not enjoy my trip, wish I had never went. I never once felt scared for my life in guyana. Guyana is by far much safer. You will actually enjoy guyana.

Edited: 9:09 pm, May 27, 2013
new york
Level Contributor
98 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Is this a worthwhile place to visit

Crime can happen anywhere and at any time. Safety is relative. If one is from a particular country, it stands to reason that one would more likely than not feel safe, albeit a false sense of security in their country of origin. These are very difficult global economic times and I will continue to stress that one must exercise caution wherever they travel in this global public square. Police systems in developing countries pale in comparison to those in developed countries. Developing countries are so named for a reason - they have not developed. Infrastructures are for the most part non-existent or antiquated. One must exercise sound and prudent judgment before venturing out late at night in the city and should not believe that crimes do not happen in the interior locations. Again, none of my reviews are intended to persuade people against visiting Guyana. I reiterate that one MUST exercise caution wherever they go. Be mindful of some of the people you trust as those very people can be the ones luring you into danger.

new york
Level Contributor
98 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Is this a worthwhile place to visit

MRMinSF

For perspective, you had access to 450USD to pay for services at a private clinic. Many people cannot afford private clinics. In the US, those of us with medical insurance, pay premiums, co-pays and a host of other bills related to health care. We have no control over what systems are in place in terms of what the hospital bills the insurance companies. Many people traveling to Guyana visiting family and friends understand that hospitals in Guyana or in many developing countries are not on the same playing field as those in developed countries.

new york
Level Contributor
98 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Is this a worthwhile place to visit

https:/…guyana

…state.gov/travel/…victim

I do hope the links above provide some perspective.......just saying.

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
260 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Is this a worthwhile place to visit

None of the Guianas see any significant tourist traffic (part of why they're so bloody expensive). Sept-Dec tend to be the busiest times... but busy is a relative term. You're not really going to be fighting crowds anywhere, especially at lodges in the interior regions... you're fighting the fact that most lodges have 8 or fewer rooms. So it takes very little tourist traffic to make a place 'full.'

No hurricane issues in the Guianas.

Hollywood, Florida
Level Contributor
234 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Is this a worthwhile place to visit

I honestly wouldn't bother visiting the Guianas, as they are too hard to get to, too expensive and have very little that is unique about them.

I would probably choose Belize (in terms of comparability to the Guianas), but with much more to see (Mayan ruins, 2nd Largest Barrier Reef, beaches, 100's of CLEAR waterfalls and Caves, high biodiversity in WAY less area). Honduras or Costa Rica are also excellent choices.

Edited: 11:17 am, December 11, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Georgetown