We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling Venezuela/Guyana

Edinburgh, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Travelling Venezuela/Guyana

Hi, i am a single female traveller, thinking of heading to Venezuela and perhaps Guyana in a fortnight. I've read some old posts on here about it being pretty difficult to travel independantly, organise things in the country, and not that safe. Does anyone have any more up to date advice.

Thanks

toria

USA
10 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling Venezuela/Guyana

Hi Toria,

I am sorry I cannot help;never travelled to Venezuela before. You should travel to Guyana- it 's amazingly beautiful!. Visited Kaieteur Falls and spent a few days at Karanambu. Diane Mc Turk is simply the best host!

Do you need a companion? If so, I'd be happy to join, perhaps to visit Angel Falls, and to climb Mount Roraima.

I met people at Karanmbu who were going to Venezuela and they weren't at all worried about their safety.

Actually, I befriended one of them, Kirstoph, who emailed me to say he had a grand time. Im not so sure whether they travelled by themselves or if it was an organized trip, but I can find out.

Do you have a fixed time? I am very interested.

Greets

MC

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
260 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling Venezuela/Guyana

Hi Toria-10

As far as Guyana goes, be sure to read through the postings here on Trip Advisor for comments from others who have travelled to Guyana. In particular, be sure to read through the reviews of lodges in the interior such as Rock View, Iwokrama, Surama, Rewa, Maipaima, Karanambu, Caiman House, and Atta Rainforest Lodge (which may not appear in the Guyana section unless you search for them directly).

You should also pick up a copy of the Bradt Guide, the only complete travelers guide to Guyana. It will give you some bearing on what to look for and expect from travel to Guyana.

You are correct, this is not a country that is used to catering to independent travelers... the lack of transportation and communication infrastructure make it tough to navigate on your own. Fortunately (assuming you're an english speaker) at least there isn't a language barrier to contend with. Most visitors from the US or UK make their arrangements through a travel agent back home or one of the tour operators in Georgetown.

A word on safety: as usual, the US State Department paints a doom-and-gloom security picture that doesn't reflect what most people experience on-the-ground. The UK FCO takes a similar (though slightly less alarmist) tack. Crime in Georgetown is an issue to be aware of, but very little crime is directed towards foreign tourists. In any case, the real gems of Guyana are outside the capital so you are unlikely to spend much time there anyway.

If you haven't yet done so, look up LOST LAND OF THE JAGUAR on YouTube. It's a great BBC documentary from 2008 that paints a very enticing picture of the place. A portion of the entire series is spent along the Guyana/Venezuela border. That's an area I haven't yet visited myself, but hope to reach on my next trip down there this fall.

USA
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling Venezuela/Guyana

Hello There,

I promised another member that i will post a report about my recent travels to Guyana.

I bought a Bradt Guide and did my own research before I left the USA.

I had a wonderful trip to Guyana. Please keep checking here for details of my trip and lots of photos on my blog (address will be posted here soon).

The City of Georgetown is a gem. The colonial architecture, its bustling streets, its friendly people and the most incredible are its dozens and dozens of different tropical birds to see anywhere at any time in the city. After my guided tour, I went back with an excellent Bird Guide who was the nicest person I have ever met!

I went to different restaurants; from Chinese to Indian to Brazilian to European and to Creole – I wanted to make the best of my trip, so I tried them all!

I felt safe at all times; even in the markets,no one approached me. I became instantly friendly with all the market holders and food ladies - even though I did not purchase a meal from them!

I visited the most incredible Kaieteur Falls, with a group of 4 visiting Americans, a Belgian, a Frenchman, an English a couple who had also come into Guyana, like myself, through DAGRON TOURS (www.dagron-tours.com). We saw a cock of the Rock and Golden Frogs in tank bromeliads.

The next few days were spent between Iwokrama and Karanambu. I saw so many different birds, two (2) river otters, and a Black Caiman. The giant anteater was a treat and then my trip to the Essequibo was brilliant. The island tour was magical-with literally hundreds of parrots flying overhead, toucans, macaws, hawks, herons and dozens of other species.

And finally, I must urge you to see visit Guyana for yourself! There were not many visible tourists there. Imagine! It is necessary to plan in advance to work out all the logistics. I was well looked after by the friendly people at Dagron Tours. The service they provided was special and I would like to recommend them to anyone who is interested in visiting Guyana.

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
260 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling Venezuela/Guyana

Kudos to Merrychild for saying what I was trying to communicate: the reception visitors receive in Georgetown is invariably warm and welcoming. Those of us who have been to Guyana and gotten to know the people there get pretty annoyed by the "official" sources (US Dept of State, etc) who myopically focus on crime and violence as if Georgetwon were in the middle of a warzone. The advisories make things sound so much worse than they really are. Like every city on Earth, there are neighborhoods any reasonable person might avoid at night, etc., but the experience most people have is very positive... so take those dire warnings with a giant grain of salt!

It is also true there is a surprisingly wide variety of dining options in Georgetown. I'll pitch my favorite (and locally renowned) puri shop: Shanta's on Camp Street across from the Shell station. The 7-curry plate is awesome!

Brooklyn, New York
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling Venezuela/Guyana

I totally disagree, Guyana, the interior especially is no problem for the single female traveler. Guyana is like any other place in the world, one needs to be aware of where they are and act responsibly. Do not let fear stop you from traveling to this wonderful destination, there is so much to do and see that it would be a shame to let some negative post deter you.,.

wonderlust59

Brooklyn, New York
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling Venezuela/Guyana

I totally disagree, Guyana, the interior especially is no problem for the single female traveler. Guyana is like any other place in the world, one needs to be aware of where they are and act responsibly. Do not let fear stop you from traveling to this wonderful destination, there is so much to do and see that it would be a shame to let some negative post deter you.,.

wonderlust59

7. Re: Travelling Venezuela/Guyana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 05, 2011