We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elevation of Boga

Which Bogota hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Elevation of Boga

I was reading that the elevation is extremely high --- 8,000 feet above sea level. I live in Toronto where the elevation is 500 feet above sea level. Before I book my trip I want to make sure that I won't have trouble breathing. I am told there is less oxygen at those levels.

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Elevation of Boga

Bogota's alt. is 2,625 metres (8,612'); I live at sea level and it can take a while to get accustomed to the altitude. You may experience a slight headache, shortness of breath. Take it easy the 1st couple of days, avoid long up hill walks and go easy on the liquor.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Elevation of Boga

Although Bogota is about 8600 Ft above sea level and it's considerable, you won't have a problem breathing or otherwise unless you will be participating in some serious sport event, in which case you will need to get used to the less oxygen before you put your body to it or you suffer of some health issue ( I don't know if it affects people with asthma).

I walked all day long and never felt short of breath or tired more that usual.

One thing they recommend is to be well hydrated, that is drink water even if you don't feel thirst, it will help you.

Because of the altitude Bogota is always kind of "fresh" and it can be a little "cold"; of course, for you coming from Canada, you will laugh ( I should say: find funny) at people "sporting their heaviest winter coats" while you are just fine on your T-shirt.

Willy.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Elevation of Boga

Ohhh yeahhh, what Playa said about the liqueur. I had a beer the first day and felt it as it was three.

Hey, I live in Atlanta at about 1000Ft and I did not experienced any of that. Can 1000 ft difference be that much different?

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Elevation of Boga

Yes, you can feel the altitude if you are climbing up the streets of la Candelaria up to Iglesia de Egipto for instance, or walking up til Monserrate (more than 3000 meters of altitude). If you like tu run, you'll find yourself short-breathed while jogging.

Temps are about 18-20 degrees C at days, and 6-8 degrees C at night.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Elevation of Boga

Yes there is less oxygen and your body will need to adjust to that which takes at least 3 days (producing extra blood cells to capture and transport the oxygen).

At home I live a few meters *below* sea level :-) ! I felt slightly dizzy and sort of 'drunk' every time I came back to Bogotá (3 times during my last trip). Walking up steep streets made me feel like an 80 year old granny. My eyes also tend to get prickly at high altitude and sometimes I have trouble reading and keeping my eyes in focus. I need more sleep than usual, when I first arrive at high altitude.

But apart from that I was fine. It's not by far as bad as +4000 meters (13,000 ft, for example La Paz), or even +4500 meters (14,750 ft) where I had to sleep one time and it was really very hard to breathe and I almost started hyperventilating at night.

The general advice is:

- take it easy during the first few days, i.e. don't do a streneous hike, or loads and loads of sightseeing

- drink plenty of liquids like clean water, green tea

- avoid coffee, black tea and alcohol (which make you dehydrate)

- eat light meals, avoid red meat

- sleep longer than usual

If all this doesn't help and you really get 'altitude sick' to a point of severe headaches and vomiting, the only thing you need to do is descend to lower altitude. And you can try again later.

Read more about altitude sickness: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altitude_sickness

Have fun!

Cecilia

…travelpod.com/travel-blog/…tpod.html

Edited: 10:55 am, December 07, 2013
6. Re: Elevation of Boga

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 09, 2014