We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transit visa - 2hr stop over in Bogota (NOT exiting airport)

Vienna, Virginia
Level Contributor
291 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Transit visa - 2hr stop over in Bogota (NOT exiting airport)

Hi:

I have a question about transit visas as I will NOT be exiting the airport.

1. I am a citizen of India (Indian passport holder) residing in the USA with a permanent resident alien card (green card). I am flying from Washington DC to Rio de Janeiro on Avianca that has a 2 hr stop-over in Bogota, Columbia. Do I need a transit visa?

2. My son is a US citizen (US passport holder) and is also traveling with me. Does he need a transit visa?

I contact the Consular office here in Washington DC, and they asked me to contact MIGRACION COLOMBIA (www.migracioncolombia.gov.co) as they do not have the information for #1 and #2 above!!!

I will be contacting them of course, but I just found it highly ridiculous that the Consular office (that handles all visa applications) would not know the answer to my questions!!

Thanks,

D

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transit visa - 2hr stop over in Bogota (NOT exiting airport)

Hi

Unlike in the USA, you are not considered entering the Colombian territory when staying in the international zone of the airport for Transit. You therefore don't need any visa.

If you can read Spanish, check this page: colombia.travel/es/…visas-y-permisos

"No se requerirá visa temporal de visitante ni permiso de ingreso cuando se trate de tránsito por el país hasta por 24 horas."

Vienna, Virginia
Level Contributor
291 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transit visa - 2hr stop over in Bogota (NOT exiting airport)

Stephane501:

Thank you for that information. Is that page from an official government Web site that I can print and carry with me?

Edited: 1:58 pm, August 03, 2013
Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transit visa - 2hr stop over in Bogota (NOT exiting airport)

Mmm it is a State Agency called ProExport, info is acurate but it is not a legal source of info.

Have a look at is what is saying the Colombian Embassy in the USA:

http://www.colombiaemb.org/node/1759

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
4,060 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transit visa - 2hr stop over in Bogota (NOT exiting airport)

Proexport is a government agency of the Executive Branch of the Government of Colombia in charge of promoting Colombian non-traditional exports...

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
271 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transit visa - 2hr stop over in Bogota (NOT exiting airport)

As long as you're flying the same airline all the way thru then you won't need a visa for when you arrive in Bogota that is you're not exiting the airport terminal in transit. You'll be at Terminal 2 in El Dorado Intl. which is international flights.Just make sure you check your luggage all the way thru to final destination.One other thing is DON'T FORGET YOU BOTH WILL NEED ENTRY VISAS FOR BRAZIL......THEY CAN TAKE A WHILE TOO!!!! Enjoy Brasil!!!!

Edited: 9:21 pm, August 07, 2013
Vienna, Virginia
Level Contributor
291 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transit visa - 2hr stop over in Bogota (NOT exiting airport)

This is the reply I got from Migracion Columbia: "Su solicitud ha sido atendida. Para consultar la respuesta a su inquietud deberá ingresar a la página http://www.migracioncolombia.gov.co en link centro virtual atención ciudadana (CVAC), registrarse e ingresar a su sesión."

I did go to that Web site but the only two options are to either register as a citizen or a company. How and why should I register as a citizen when I am not a citizen of Colombia?

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transit visa - 2hr stop over in Bogota (NOT exiting airport)

You faced the delight of automatic replies letting you even more puzzled than before :-)

Relax, you don't need a transit visa, nor does your son. There is a worldwide rule (except in the US) saying that transit zones of airports are "extraterritorial" (see Snowden case in Russia). Meaning that if you remain in the international transit zone, you technically won't enter the Colonbian territory. You won't even have to go through immigration nor customs.

See this older thread: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294074-i3499-k141…

8. Re: Transit visa - 2hr stop over in Bogota (NOT exiting airport)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 10, 2014