We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bogata....or cartegenia

Which Bogota hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
VERMONT
Level Contributor
77 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
bogata....or cartegenia

which city would you consider... dont need fancy...older independent travelers....thank you so much.....jon

Brisbane
Level Contributor
24 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bogata....or cartegenia

What are your interests?

Bogota is bigger, has more cultural life, has nice museums (don't miss museo del oro) and it's cold for Colombian standards (15 degrees during the day).

Cartagena is ideal if you want to relax, enjoy the beautiful colonial architecture and the beach. If you want to go enjoy the best beaches Iwould recommend a day trip to islas del Rosario.

Both cities are very nice but very different, therefore the best option would depend on what you want to do. My choice would be Cartagena for it's architecture and festive atmosphere, but my husband would choose Bogota because there are more things to do there and is more interesting.

Edited: 9:50 am, January 05, 2013
San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,018 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bogata....or cartegenia

It also depends on the time of year. Bogota doesn't have great weather much of the time, and Cartagena can be hot and humid. The latter is very touristy as it gets the cruise ships.

Aguascalientes...
Level Contributor
260 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bogata....or cartegenia

Does anybody know how long it takes to get from Bogota to Cartagena by bus?

TIA!

MM

Edited: 4:59 pm, January 07, 2013
Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: bogata....or cartegenia

I agree with the replies on Bogota, as for Cartegenia can't comment since I've never heard of that place, where in Colombia is it?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bogata....or cartegenia

I was in both places last month. Cartagena is hot and touristy. We were very disappointed by it. Conversely we loved Bogota - lots to see and do - the museums are world class and the Bogota Bike Tour was a real highlight of our trip. There are also good places to visit nearby eg Villa de Leyva.I see you live in VT so guess you are interested in the Jet Blue flight? We wish we had flown to Cartagen and out of Bogota or missed Cartagen totally, That said I am told that places like Tayrona near Cartagena are worth the effort.

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bogata....or cartegenia

Hi,

Bogota to Cartagena by bus is around 18-20 hrs, sometimes a bit more.

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bogata....or cartegenia

Regarding Bogota, would be more between 18 and 22C during the day. I just came back from Bogota, and temps were about 22 these days, pretty sunny, quite enjoyable.

When in july, for instance, it is much rainier and a bit colder.

Nights can be quite cold, between 5 and 10 depending on the season.

san francisco
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bogata....or cartegenia

Hi bouche. I was in Bogota and Cartagena in November and I had a better time in Cartagena by far. Perhaps is was because we were two women and we stayed in the La Canelaria section of Bogota at Hotel de La Opera. We did not venture out at night because the neighborhood felt too sketchy and even in the daytime I was not enthralled with the area. In Cartagena we stayed in the walled city and it was lovely. We felt very safe there day and night. There was more than enough to do for the six nights we stayed there. We enjoyed going to the salsa clubs, wandering through the narrow streets with balconies covered with blooming vines in every shade, having dinner in the balmy breeze of the lovely squares, buying arepas on the street, visiting "the hall of the scribes" (yes it still exists) and looking at the wall that surrounds Gabriel Garcia Marquez's house in wonder and sadness thinking of the great mind that has been destroyed by dementia. Going from Bogota to Cartagena is almost like going to a different country. The climate, the food, the dress are very different, Bogota is much more of an inland city, while Cartagena is more of a Colonial Caribbean destination.

Edited: 5:45 am, January 17, 2013
Aguascalientes...
Level Contributor
260 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bogata....or cartegenia

Thank you, Stephane501!

MM

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: bogata....or cartegenia

sfjam no wonder why you enjoyed Cartagena better than Bogota. You stayed in the best/upscale area of Cartagena whereas in Bogota you stayed in the backpackers zone.

Not to mention that staying in the walled city or nearby, you can wander around and find nice places to have a drink, to eat, to dance, pretty easily.

In Bogota, one need to prepare more, spot a specific place, travel by taxi or by public transportation at day... It's definitely not the same experience. The lazy bums will head to la Zona T o la zona G in Bogota, but then they'll miss a lot of interesting things to do.

I have to admit too that some parts of Bogota are pretty ugly. But there are nice neighborhoods too, I am especially thinking about these nice small streets in Chapinero with their charming Tudor style houses. There are a few lovely parks too, I love the botanic garden for instance. There is a lot of concerts, exhibitions, there is a vibrant artistic life in Bogota, but it requires more time to get into it. Cartagena is more accessible, and yes, Cartagena is a typical tropical city, whereas Bogota is more like a European or North American city, climate wise, and traffic wise.