We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bogota - 2 weeks

Leicester, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bogota - 2 weeks

Anyone heading to Bogota end of Sep 2012? I get there on the 29th Sep and im there for 2 weeks - female travelling solo - will be working in an orphanage for 5-6 hours during the days but also keen to get out and about. if youre there during this time and fancy a beer pls get in touch! :)

Edited: 2:06 pm, September 13, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Bogota
Bogota
Colombia
Prudencia
$$ - $$$, Contemporary
La Castana
$$ - $$$, Cafe, Fusion, Colombian
Tramonti
$$$$, Italian, Mediterranean, European
1. Re: Bogota - 2 weeks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:05 pm, September 22, 2012
Leicester, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Bogota - 2 weeks

Thanks for the reassurance Daniel - first time travelling alone and a little nervous!

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
1,913 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bogota - 2 weeks

Hey

If you can't speak spanish, you may enjoy staying with expats, I'd suggest having a drink in zona T, which is an upscale shopping/partying area. Lots of nice bars, pubs, cafes, restaurants, upscale mall and boutiques. Safe area too. Drawback is it's quite pricey. But at least you'll hear English there.

If you can speak spanish, I am sure you'll easily find locals ready to get a drink with you! They will enjoy showing you nice places to go out. There are plenty in Bogota! Positive side is that it'll be cheaper than zona T. Keep in mind these people may not have the same financial resources as you may have. Also keep in mind that in latin culture, it is difficult to say no. So if someone is telling you 'maybe', there are high chances that he/she will finally not show up. Oh and finally, being on time is soooooo european. Expect people to be late :) You will surely be invited to party at someone's place too. Like everywhere, when money is tight, it is cheaper to party at home with some cheap booze and easy food. Not to mention, since we are talking about Colombia, that partying at home is safer. Make sure to ask what to bring. It is a nice gesture, as expat, to take (part of) the hard liquor part of the bill.

Mentioned in this post
Bogota
Bogota
Colombia
Colombia
Colombia
South America
Leicester, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Bogota - 2 weeks

Thanks so much for this info Stephane - it really is very helpful and once again reassuring!!! My Spanish is very basic!!! Now wishing id paid more attention to it at University!!

Im Indian, so used to the lateness thing lol.

Thanks again :)

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
4,174 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bogota - 2 weeks

Dee have you checked out < http://www.couchsurfing.org/ it's not only a couch - they are also a good place to social network...

A while back I looked up the Bogota chapter - fired off a message and got a reply pronto from a real Colombian...

Mentioned in this post
Bogota
Bogota
Colombia
Leicester, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Bogota - 2 weeks

this is great, thanks Playa4u :)

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bogota - 2 weeks

There is a bar in Zona Rosa called La Villa which has a night called Gringo Tuesdays (every, er, Tuesday - it was still on when I was in Bogota in May so hopefully is still on) where there are lots of Europeans as well as Colombians who want to MEET Europeans with the intention of having a language exchange.

Anyway, my friend came early to Bogota for my wedding and I had to do wedding stuff and he had Tuesday night free so he went on his own and he loved it and made some friends that he saw again before he went beack. I have never been so cant comment personally.

off2colombia.com/bogota-bars-clubs/276-gring…

Mentioned in this post
Bogota
Bogota
Colombia
Leicester, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Bogota - 2 weeks

Wow thats sounds like a great idea! I will be sure to pluck up the courage and check it out! one more question if you dont mind Robin - do I need to take cocktail dresses etc to go out in or do people dress quite casual in the evenings? thanks Robin1979! :)

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bogota - 2 weeks

Casual is fine pretty much everywhere i have been in that area. For pubs and bars the standard attire for women is jeans and heels and a nice top but i dont think trainers/sneakers would be a problem. I have never seen a dress code anywhere. The link i posted has photos of gringo tuesdays and it looks very casual.

I never had a problem anywhere and i always wear trainers :)

Leicester, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Bogota - 2 weeks

Brilliant - makes travelling lighter a lot easier! thanks so much Robin.