We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport taxi to Bogota?

Helsinki
Level Contributor
79 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Airport taxi to Bogota?

I know this question might sound stupid but I have visited Latin America only once before (Sao Paulo and Rio).

I booked a room at Hilton hotel, Carrera 7. I will arrive quite late in the evening after 20 hours trip from home.

How should I organize the transfer to the hotel? I've read that there is a service desk at the international airport providing the correct rate. But you cannot purchase a voucher? Or should I ask the hotel to pick me up? Do the taxi drivers accept credit cards and what could be the market price for that trip?

This is absolutely no offence to local taxi business. I am just a first time visitor in Colombia.

By the way did I choose a good neighborhood?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport taxi to Bogota?

When you arrive, follow the signs to the taxi stand. Tell the folks in the window where you're going, and they'll give you a ticket with the cost. You'll give that to your taxi driver and then pay upon arrival to your hotel. Cash only...it'll end up costing around 5-7$ US (10-15K COP). There are ATMs all over the airport to grab cash.

Have fun!

Helsinki
Level Contributor
79 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport taxi to Bogota?

Many thanks for your reply! The system sounds great. Happy to know that taxi fares are not in line with the accommodation prices.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
723 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport taxi to Bogota?

Yes the taxi from the airport is very easy, as is drawing money from the ATMs. Your neighborhood in Bogota will be fine. You're in the north part of the city, which lacks the historic charm of the older district (La Candelaria) but has plenty of restaurants and nightlife and is considered much safer. A taxi to La Candelaria for sightseeing will be quite inexpensive.

Enjoy Colombia, the people and culture are wonderful.

Helsinki
Level Contributor
79 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport taxi to Bogota?

Thanks acek!

It's always a challenge for a first timer to decide where to stay. Pictures of La Candelaria look amazing, but my plan is like you mention. To see historical parts at daylight and enjoy the evening near the hotel. Perhaps I'll have a bike tour on Sunday.

I guess it helps that I speak enough Spanish to have simple discussions. In France locals turn to English because they do not want to hear my pronounciation.

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
4,061 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport taxi to Bogota?

In addition to the airport you will have a number of banks in the safe area you are staying in.Go easy on the excercise(bike riding) in the 1st few days,Bogota´s high altitude (8000´+)requires a few days to get used to the alt.

Check out this great travel blog it´s loaded with lots of great info re: Colombia.

Enjoy!

http://seecolombia.travel/blog/

Helsinki
Level Contributor
79 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport taxi to Bogota?

Yes, the altitude may cause some issues together with the 7 hours time difference. I live 15 meters above the sea level! I'll arrive Fri evening, take it easy on Sat and then go to a bike tour on Sun. However, I did not notice any altitude related problems in Mexico City years ago. I've also trekked in the Alps without any trouble. Perhaps it does not affect on everyone?

Thanks for the link, there's plenty of interesting information to read.

Is Bogotá less busy in the early January because of the holiday season? I've read that Buenos Aires becomes very peaceful place in January.

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
4,061 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport taxi to Bogota?

I guess it depends on what kind of shape your in?..even after 10 days on San Andres,on my return back to Bogota I still found myself huffing & puffing on a short hike!I have heard our Canadian swimmers come to Bogota to train..something about the alt improving their performance.

Re: Bogota busy in January...it´s a big city it´s always busy..the bars- restuarants may be a little less busy but some how ? the Bogotanos will have some gas left over in the the tank even after the rumba dura en Navidad.

8. Re: Airport taxi to Bogota?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, December 24, 2012