We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7.5 hour layover in Bogota

San Diego...
4 posts
Save Topic
7.5 hour layover in Bogota

Hi all!

A friend and I will be traveling from LAX to GRU São Paulo with a 7.5 hour layover in Bogota (El Dorado) on the way. We really want to taxi over to la Candelaria while we wait.

Anyone have an estimate on how long it might take to re-check our bags and go through customs?

I think it will be worth it to leave the airport if we can get a solid three hours of time to explore. We are also considering bringing carry on bags as opposed to checking bags.

Looking forward to thoughts and advice!

Best,

Chelsea Burge

Mentioned in this post
Bogota
Bogota
Colombia
7 replies to this topic
Medellin
Level Contributor
4,556 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7.5 hour layover in Bogota

If your ticket is a single ticket ie linked, then you will not have to recheck your bags - they will be checked through to your next flight by the airline, which solves your problem.

San Diego...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 7.5 hour layover in Bogota

I spoke with an agent with Avianca and she told me that they only do that if the layover is six hours or less??? Maybe I can try asking someone else

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
4,220 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7.5 hour layover in Bogota

If that's the case leave your bags in airport storage.As to popping into la Candelaria for a.short visit it may depend on your arrival and departure time.Normally a taxi trip to this zone is 30 min one way during rush hour a little longer depending on traffic,if so allow extra time.

Cali, Colombia
Level Contributor
383 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7.5 hour layover in Bogota

If you are returning from Brazil via Colombia you will need proof of Yellow Fever vaccinations when you enter Colombia from Brazil

Mentioned in this post
Colombia
Colombia
South America
San Diego...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 7.5 hour layover in Bogota

We’re not making any stops in Colombia on our way back from Brazil! Only on the way in. I was in Rio, Curitiba, Iguazu Falls, and Florianópolis last summmer. Do you think I’ll need my yellow fever vaccine because of that? @lanny95

Edited: 10:19 am, June 11, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Colombia
Colombia
South America
San Diego...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 7.5 hour layover in Bogota

Okay cool! It sounds like the endeavor will at least be worth a shot!

Los Angeles...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 7.5 hour layover in Bogota

I just had a 9.5 hour layover from GRU to LAX. Checked in on line and checked my bag directly to LAX. Hit the ground running and spent 5 hours in La Candalára using Transmelinio. I will have the same flight itinerary as OP. I expect to be able to check my bag directly to GRU at LAX.

Reply to: 7.5 hour layover in Bogota
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bogota