We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency exchange and budget questions

Cary, North Carolina
3 posts
Save Topic
Currency exchange and budget questions

I will be traveling to Girardot and staying with a Colombian friend for 3 weeks. I will only have to pay for food (she doesn't cook) how much am I looking to spend?

Not sure whether to have my family send money through western union or exchange money in the united states before I leave. Any suggestions?

Also, I want to be able to bring some goods back to the states, I read some posts and while some people said not to buy any kind of liquor because TSA more than likely will make you dispose of it, is this still happening or does it depend on the agent? I was planning on buying two bottles of aguardiente, is one bottle the limit or two are okay?

Will appreciate any tips.

Thanks in advance.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
723 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency exchange and budget questions

Use Colombian ATMs or bring dollars to exchange in Colombia. You will get ripped off exchanging in the US.

Cary, North Carolina
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency exchange and budget questions

I thought it was better not to exchange USD into COP in Colombia.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
723 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency exchange and budget questions

That's absurd.

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,807 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency exchange and budget questions

There are plenty of legit money changing tiendas in every city, dont exchange them at the airport, a little bit to pay for taxi or bus OK, but just enough to get to an ATM

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
1,726 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency exchange and budget questions

mgygdl

Regarding liquors, you can bring one liter freely. As stated in the link below, "Additional quantities may be entered, although they will be subject to duty and Federal excise taxes".

TSA disposing alcohol only happens when transiting through the US. It happened to me last time I traveled to Colombia. I bought a bottle of liquor in Paris Duty Free, and kept it as hand luggage since my suitcase was already checked-in. When arriving at Dulles, transiting to Colombia, TSA denied me to follow my journey with the bottle. It was in a sealed bag from the duty free and everything, but no way Jose..

The reason is that, unlike about any other country in the world, the US consider that the traveller enters the US territory, goes through security screening, and then gets into the international zone to take his next flight..

In about any other country, when in transit, you are staying in the international zone, and don't go through immigration.

https:/…190

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
4,006 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency exchange and budget questions

I would recommend buying your duty-free liquor when you enter BOG; there's a duty-free downstairs near the international baggage claim. The prices are very reasonable;6 bottle import allowance when entering Colombia. Stock up before you exit;premium liquor brands are expensive on the Colombian mainland & btw Colombians love good scotch...;) You can save a couple of bottles to take home; bubble wrap them well & pack them in your checked in luggage.

7. Re: Currency exchange and budget questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, March 01, 2015