We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current ATM fees and per w/d limits

The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
2,154 posts
Save Topic
Current ATM fees and per w/d limits

From searching the forum I find:

Citibank - 9500 COP, 800000 per withdraw

Davidienda - ???? COP, 800000 per withdraw

BanColombia - ???? COP, 400000 per withdraw

Others - ???? COP, 300000 per withdraw

Can anyone verify, update and relay current experiences?

I will be using US-issued Plus and Cirrus system ATM cards.

37 replies to this topic
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
280 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Current ATM fees and per w/d limits

For years I use my Capital One CC, the very best exchange rates and I usually withdraw 500,000 to 600,000 COP no problems. When I have had problems the Capital One international customer service rep has been a life saver in the past.

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
1,726 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Current ATM fees and per w/d limits

Hi

Most of the ATMs don't cover extra charges, except the Servientrega ATMs in the supermarkets (green booths).

A lot of ATMs do ask a voluntary contribution for some NGOs though, just make sure you hit the 'no contribution' button.

Your bank will charge fees on your balance and will use a slightly lowered exchange rate though.

I think it is best to have a Visa card. Not sure Cirrus is widely accepted.

I myself have a Mastercard card and is not accepted everywhere. Visa card holders are facing less problems.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
723 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Current ATM fees and per w/d limits

Davivienda has dropped its max to something like $400,000. Very frustrating. Servibanca is $780,000. There are no Citibanks in Cartagena, unfortunately. I've been bringing cash lately, it's easier just to change it then trying to find an ATM with a high enough limit not to make the withdrawal a total rip-off in terms of fees. It's generally no problem finding a legit place to change cash at or near the official exchange rate with no fees.

The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
2,154 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Current ATM fees and per w/d limits

My real life experience:

BBVA and Banco AV Villas ATMs do not charge a Colombia-side per use fee. They both take Cirrus network cards if that is a concern. You can do multiple withdraws up to your bank's daily limit.

Medellin
Level Contributor
3,696 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Current ATM fees and per w/d limits

Stephane - thats not my experience; it seems every one I use now has a ATM charge and the more annoying thing is that the Colombian side and the home bank side charge; I also use my Mastercard wherever I want - no issues so far.

For citibank - at some of them you can withdraw 1,500,000

Medellin
Level Contributor
3,696 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Current ATM fees and per w/d limits

For Americans - on another forum they are stating that Charles Schwab provides close to the TRM rate, refunds all the ATM fees and does not charge a foreign exchange fee.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
723 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Current ATM fees and per w/d limits

Most US banks will charge a fee of $5 US per withdrawal, which makes multiple daily withdrawals very expensive, particularly when you factor in the exchange spread that most US banks will also apply.

Cirrus is accepted at virtually all Colombian ATMs.

The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
2,154 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Current ATM fees and per w/d limits

For US persons, not hard to find good ATM debit card deals. Card #1, no per w/d fee, 0% exchange at the xe.com rate. Card #2, no per w/d fee, 1% exchange fee at the xe.com rate or within 0.4% of it and up to 4 auto reimbursements of $2.50 per month fee or no fee on the other side (which makes a 300000 COP exchange not only free but a paid one).

Edited: 10:55 am, March 22, 2014
Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
4,003 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Current ATM fees and per w/d limits

My recent Colombian ATM experiences were with HSBC; its one of my affiliate banks, like a lot of international banks they may waive the fees if you bank there. That aside I use the ATM that gives me the best bang for my $; yes both hsbc - Citibank have lowered their single withdrawal limits & in most cases you'll see at least one 9k service charge. What happens with you & your parent bank is anyone's guess.

Bogota, Colombia
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Current ATM fees and per w/d limits

I recommend Citibank. From what I've experienced most of their ATM's will allow you to draw down $1.3000.000COP in one single transaction. Normally with an approx. $US5 fee. Other banks may allow you to draw down higher daily amounts, for example BBVA $1.600.000COP, but only in lots of $400.000. So you'd end up paying approx. $US20 to draw down only a slightly larger amount. This is a common situation with most banks.

Reply to: Current ATM fees and per w/d limits
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted