We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Bogota to Armenia

toronto
Level Contributor
47 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Bogota to Armenia

Hello:

Im planning to go to colombia in december and we would like to go to Armenia and eje cafetero... We want to drive from Bogota to Armenia but I have some questions.... First of all is it safe? Is it better go through Soacha or La Mesa ( haven't found more information about this) , can we drive in Colombia with our canadian driver's license? any tips or recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Lola

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,866 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Bogota to Armenia

Skip driving, either take the bus or hire someone, most rental car agencies wont let you take the car outside the metro area, also it is very expensive.

You can drive with your license and your passport

Best bet is to take the bus and tben use local taxis when you arrive.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Bogota to Armenia

CDY is right. It is very very expensive to rent cars in Colombia.

Also, the drive from Bogota to Armenia is pretty long, about 10 hours if you are lucky. The drive between Cajamarca and Calarca is on a one line each way road. The road is in good shape but it is not wide and there is no chance to pass the heavy trucks except if you feel suicidal, so you go behind a truck in a very steep road at 20 km/h for about 2 hours.

I don't mean to discourage you, I am going to do the same drive myself, but I am traveling with my family in Colombia so I will have a car already.

The best way to get out of the city is leaving through La Mesa. The road is better maintained and you go around the city instead of driving through it.

This road is one of the most secure roads in the country. There is a lot of Police and Army in the way and it is well maintained because it is part of the Panamerican highway and it is the main road between Bogota and the south of the country.

Edited: 1:50 pm, September 16, 2013
3. Re: Driving from Bogota to Armenia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, September 18, 2014