We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I squeeze in Bogota for a 1 week itinerary?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
108 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Should I squeeze in Bogota for a 1 week itinerary?

I will be in Medellin for a weekend in October, and plan on going to Cartagena after Medellin. If I only do those two cities, I can spend 4 nights in Medellin and 5 nights in Cartagena. However, I'm also considering Bogota -- in which case, I would spend 3 nights in each place. Does it make sense to reallocate my days to Bogota? Cartagena seems like more interesting, but it's also the rainy season there, so I'm thinking that my time might be better spent in Bogota.

Mentioned in this post
Cartagena
Cartagena
Cartagena District, Colombia
Bogota
Bogota
Colombia
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,703 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I squeeze in Bogota for a 1 week itinerary?

In my opinion Bogota is a thousand times more interesting than Cartagena, but that's just me.

In any case a week is barely long enough to even get a taste.

Have fun.

Cheers,

Terry

Mentioned in this post
Bogota
Bogota
Colombia
Cartagena
Cartagena
Medellin
Level Contributor
4,408 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I squeeze in Bogota for a 1 week itinerary?

Check out this article on Bogota. 2 days does me in cartagena so personally I would include Bogota as it is a fantastic city.

travel.cnn.com/insider-guide-bogota-110686

Mentioned in this post
Bogota
Bogota
Colombia
X C
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I squeeze in Bogota for a 1 week itinerary?

I'm curious, Terry--what about Bogota makes you find it a thousand times more interesting than Cartagena?

Also, Bicks, why is two days in Cartagena more than enough for you?

We're planning to spend almost 2 weeks in Cartagena, so I'd be very interested in your perspectives about the city.

Mentioned in this post
Bogota
Bogota
Colombia
Cartagena
Cartagena
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,703 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I squeeze in Bogota for a 1 week itinerary?

Cartagena is a medium sized city of which a very, very small portion of its area is the most touristy destination in all of Colombia. It's simple to get a very good handle on Cartagena in a short amount of time.

Bogota is a huge city with a dizzingly complex cultural scene contained in seemingly endless neighbourhoods with their own vibe and charm. It's a very complicated city.

Different strokes.

Cheers,

Terry

Mentioned in this post
Cartagena
Cartagena
Bogota
Bogota
Colombia
Medellin
Level Contributor
4,408 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I squeeze in Bogota for a 1 week itinerary?

Cartagena has a high hassle factor fromt the local population and can be very hot / humid. While the old city is beautiful, 2 days is enough for me to experience it and see all the sites. I also like large cities with lots to do, so Bogota fits that bill.

Mentioned in this post
Cartagena
Cartagena
Bogota
Bogota
Colombia
X C
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I squeeze in Bogota for a 1 week itinerary?

Thanks, Terry and Bicks. We might shorten our stay in Cartagena then. Fortunately, we've already allotted more than a week for Bogota. We might explore the beaches southwest of Cartagena, instead of staying a full two weeks there.

Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
Cartagena
Cartagena
Bogota
Bogota
Colombia
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,703 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I squeeze in Bogota for a 1 week itinerary?

Play it by ear.

If you've never been to a colonial destination (and Cartagena's restoration in the Old City is spectacular) and you're slow travellers and want to veg out for a bit then Cartagena can be nice for a longer stay.

If you're a bit adventurous and like off-the-beaten-path stuff there's interesting options like the Bazurto Market (I love it there but it is not a place for a "normal" tourist to hang out) and some of the local dive bars where you can sip Aguardiente with a cold beer chaser and watch bullfighting videos with the old guys.

For an upscale experience drop by to see my pal Edgar and get a spectacular custom made guayabera for a fraction of the cost it would be in Canada. His tiny shop is Ego, at 10 - 92 Calle Portobello. Please hi from Terry and Mona.

If you're after a more non-touristy experience then Bogota has it all.

Have fun.

Cheers,

Terry

Mentioned in this post
Cartagena
Cartagena
Bogota
Bogota
Colombia
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should I squeeze in Bogota for a 1 week itinerary?

I guess I'm bored at work so I will express my not so humble opinion. :)

M3linda. If you need to go to Medellin already, then go to Medellin, otherwise Bogota is more interesting. However, between Bogota and Cartagena I would suggest you go to Cartagena. Rainy season in the tropics mean super heavy rain for an hour or two. Bogota is a great city full of character, but Cartagena is very cute and easier to enjoy in a short trip like this.

XC. You should include Santa Marta and Parque Tayrona instead of spending two weeks in Cartagena.

Mentioned in this post
Bogota
Bogota
Colombia
Cartagena
Cartagena
X C
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should I squeeze in Bogota for a 1 week itinerary?

Thanks for the tips, Terry and Mona. A custom made guayabera sounds awesome. How much would that run at Edgar's place?

We have been to several colonial destinations, but in other countries (specifically Peru, in South America), so I expect Colombian colonial cities will be different? And we're definitely slow travelers; it's not so important for us to zip around seeing sights. Chilling in cafés for hours or wandering around a city or village are good ways for us to spend a day

The Bazurto market sounds super-interesting. We like going off the tourist trail, as long as it's relatively secure (or we are coached about how to behave so it is relatively secure).

Mario, we have already planned to stay several days in Santa Marta and Tayrona, as well as Palomino and Riohacha, so the two weeks in Cartagena is not at the expense of visiting these other places. Since you mentioned Parque Tayrona, are there places to stay there that are not hammocks or exorbitant? It seems like hammocks or super-expensive lodgings are the only options, so at the moment, we're planning to stay in Santa Marta and just take day-trips to Tayrona.

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
Cartagena
Cartagena
10. Re: Should I squeeze in Bogota for a 1 week itinerary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, September 18, 2014