We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tayrona/Santa Marta Malaria Risk

Dublin
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tayrona/Santa Marta Malaria Risk

Hi

Looking forward to first trip to Colombia in 4 weeks time!

Went to my local Tropical Medical Centre last night for my travel vaccines for yellow fever and the rest. She also recommeded (but she didnt' seem 100% sure) I get malaria tablets for when I am in Tayrona National Park and Santa Marta. (Will also be in Bogota, Cartagena and San Andres). I wasn't expecting that I needed to take malaria tablets (especially when I've heard awful reports about the side effects!). Anyone know if most people do take malaria tablets when visiting there?

Not expecting any medical professionals to reply obviously;))

Thanks

P

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tayrona/Santa Marta Malaria Risk

Hi

I can't tell if the majority of people take or don't take malaria tablets to visit Tayrona park, but I don't.

I don't because It is usually only a one, Two, or Three days maximum stay in the park. Some of these tablets require to be taken a few days in advance and one to several weeks (depending on the type of medicine taken) after the exposition to the mosquito.

I'm personally more in favor of good prophylactic measures: Wearing long sleeves clothes when sun downs, using an adequate repellent for tropical zones, sleeping under a mosquito net...

2. Re: Tayrona/Santa Marta Malaria Risk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, August 25, 2014