We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to arrive late at night at the Bogota airport?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
176 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Is it safe to arrive late at night at the Bogota airport?

I am about to buy a ticket to visit Bogota later this year and would love some advice on which flight to book. One flight arrives at 5:30pm and the other at 10:40pm. I would obviously prefer to arrive while it's still light out but the earlier flight costs substantially more. I am a seasoned traveler but am concerned about the safety of arriving late at night and taking a taxi to a hotel or hostel in Bogota. I always like to save money but don't want to put myself at risk or though a lot of anxiety. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Bogota
Bogota
Colombia
Villeta, Colombia
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to arrive late at night at the Bogota airport?

Yes absolutely!

The new internation airport is very safe and plenty of police that check everything.

Also taxi during the night are safe, just lock the car door when you enter to the taxi.

Medellin
Level Contributor
4,410 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to arrive late at night at the Bogota airport?

agree with the above, no issues at all from the airport taxis. Make sure you go to the ticket booth to order it and get ticket with the fee to your destination.

Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
2,540 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to arrive late at night at the Bogota airport?

Airport taxis are safe also at night. and go to the booth and get a ticket with the fee.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
460 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe to arrive late at night at the Bogota airport?

I arrived in Colombia the first time late at night myself.

What the above folks didn't mention is that there is an official taxi line at the airport. You buy your ticket in a stall and then wait in a supervised line. Go out the front door and hang a right. It's right there.

UK it's a OK
Level Contributor
375 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe to arrive late at night at the Bogota airport?

Unless its changed in the last couple of months, there is no longer a taxi kiosk just a line. That was how it was in April. Not as secure as the old terminal service was but I used the new terminal line a couple of times and it was fine and the price about the same as the kiosk was.

Late night arrival you could always arrange in advance for your hotel to send a taxi to meet you if you have worries or even stay at a airport hotel with a shuttle service for your first night

Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe to arrive late at night at the Bogota airport?

I am sure you will be safe whatever flight you choose, so don't worry about it and try to enjoy your visit!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe to arrive late at night at the Bogota airport?

I arrived solo at 10.40pm (well actually it came in a full hour early!! flew in from JFK) and it was fine. The city looked dodgy by night but I felt safe in the taxi. It dropped me a few feet from the hotel door. In my case the hotel had sent the taxi so a lady was waiting for me with my name on a sign. My hotel is a bit hard to find for the average taxi driver (small street, plus street names have changed recently) so they always use the same one who knows where it is.

Have a good trip,

Cecilia

…travelpod.com/travel-blog/…tpod.html

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
300 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it safe to arrive late at night at the Bogota airport?

remy123 - great advice from above posters especially Cecile74. Over the past 20 plus years I have flown in and out of Bogota more times than I can count and know the airport and city well.

Like anywhere just be mindful, arrange your pick up with the hotel your at (careful with the private taxis at the airport as it will cost you 3x to 5x as much) and most of all have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Bogota
Bogota
Colombia
Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
4,167 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it safe to arrive late at night at the Bogota airport?

#5 is spot on with his factual/recommendable taxi advice

Bogota, Colombia
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it safe to arrive late at night at the Bogota airport?

Hello,

You will be perfectly fine arriving at that time. The airport is in a really good area and many hotels are close by. There will be many taxi's available for you when you arrive, no matter what time.