We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Archaeological park at San Agustin

London, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Archaeological park at San Agustin

My wife and I are looking at doing a tour of Colombia later in the year. One of the destinations on the tour is the archaeological park at San Agustin, which looks very interesting. However I have just seen that on the UK Foreign Office web site it warns against all but essential travel to that region. Is it really not advisable to visit?

Bogotá
Level Contributor
177 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Archaeological park at San Agustin

Ha ha Mike L, that's a coincidence!

Christmas 2011 I had a number of snow related calamities at Brookmans Park train station. I am going to write to the Colombian foreign office and suggest they update their travel advice for the UK so that Colombian visitors might avoid this station.

I didn't want to appear to be ranting above when I wrote to the FCO, and my hyperbole might be one of the reasons they have not replied to me yet. But the real risk with shonky advice like this is that the FCO risks becoming "the boy that cried wolf"

Travellers on forums such as Trip Advisor are savvy, clearly doing their own research and able to form their own opinions. If the FCO advises against travel to safe destinations such as San Agustin, Minca, Las Lajas etc. Then when the FCO has a real warning about somewhere, people may be inclined to ignore it. That is bad for everyone.

An FCO with ill conceived advice risks becoming an irrelevance and I for one would want my own government's foreign office to provide accurate and helpful advice.

Alas nowhere in the world is completely 100% safe. I once had my chocolate Hob Nobs stolen in Doncaster

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Archaeological park at San Agustin

Mike # 4 superb post. A thrill to read some common and well argumented sense as opposed to the government drivel that is repeated on almost all governments travel advisory websites.

London, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Archaeological park at San Agustin

JohnnyB - An even bigger coincidence. I live in Brookmans Park!

Bogotá
Level Contributor
177 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Archaeological park at San Agustin

FCO wrote back to me today to tell me that the travel advice is updated

https:/…colombia

Still a bit quirky but much better now, and yes, no hair raising warning about San Agustín any more

Moaning works!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,551 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Archaeological park at San Agustin

Good job, Johnny...

Cheers,

Terry

16. Re: Archaeological park at San Agustin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, April 26, 2014