We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice places to stay in coffee region, by public transport

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Topic
Nice places to stay in coffee region, by public transport

At the end of January my friend and I will have just over two weeks time to spend in the coffee region. We both speak Spanish and have travelled in Latin American countries before.

We're a bit overwhelmed by how many nice fincas, haciendas and cute little posadas and such there are in the coffee region. It seems like I could easily spend over a month there!

Our main interest will be to experience some picturesque villages, Valle de Cocora, as many hot springs / termales as we can manage to take in :-) , and whatever other beautiful nature / nice low-key activities are on offer. (Horseback riding, easy walks, coffee tours, swimming, seeing caves and waterfalls, markets...)

I'd like to avoid staying *in* big cities such as Armenia, Pereira, Manizales (or is one of them really nice?), because we're already spending time in Bogotá and Cartagena and perhaps in Medellin (outside those two weeks). We'd rather stay in a town like Salento, or in a finca just outside a city.

- Which other small towns can you recommend and are easily accessible by public transport?

- What would be a good base to visit various termales and some other points of interest? So that we can spend several nights in a row in one place and do daytrips from there, either by bus or by organised tour?

- Which finca / hacienda can be reached by public transport or a not-too-expensive taxi ride from a city? Budget for accommodation = about US$60 per night, or more if dinner is included.

- How do people go about getting dinner while staying at a remote finca? Do they travel with their own car or use taxis?

- Is Rio Claro worth the detour? Are there only expensive eco resorts there?

- Any other amazing but affordable places to sleep that I'm overlooking? (The huts / rooms *at* the sites of termales seem quite pricey...)

We've looked into renting a car but that's quite a bit over our budget.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice places to stay in coffee region, by public transport

I was in Solento last month and it is beautiful with the most amazing hiking. Note however that it is very popular with Colombians and gets super busy at weekends. We travelled from there by bus to Jardin which is fabulous - amazing scenery, great town square.

We stayed 2 nights in Manizales which was OK but nothing special. In general we found the Colombian buses to be excellent and perfectly safe. The roads are often very windy and I think driving would be really stressful!

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,018 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice places to stay in coffee region, by public transport

See my review of Finca Villa Nora from three years back. It meets your requirements:

tripadvisor.com/…CHECK_RATES_CONT

We travelled onwards from there by bus to Salento, which I also recommend.

3. Re: Nice places to stay in coffee region, by public transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 10, 2014