We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo female traveller wanting to learn spanish in Cartagena

1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Solo female traveller wanting to learn spanish in Cartagena

I want to learn Spanish but don't want to commit to the extortionate prices of foreign funded schools here in Cartagena. Can anyone reccomend a tutor or local school that is affordable to learn the language? I'm here for a month perhaps longer... One that is safe yet has social aspects would be great as I am a solo female traveller and would love to get to know the locals better.

15 replies to this topic
1. Re: Solo female traveller wanting to learn spanish in Cartagena

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:35 pm, June 23, 2013

3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo female traveller wanting to learn spanish in Cartagena

Hi! Did you have any luck with this? I'm also a solo female traveller (from New Zealand), and want to do an intensive Spanish course course in Cartegena, in late September - October this year for one month. I'd really appreciate any advice. Gracias y saludos

Lecheria, Venezuela
Destination Expert
for Cartagena, Colombia
Level Contributor
782 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo female traveller wanting to learn spanish in Cartagena

Hi Miriam, Ive seen this one in Getsemani (a hippie neighborhood in Cartagena)

nuevalengua.com/schools/…cartagena.html

But cannot coment on its quality etc.

This one is inside the walled city

http://www.centrocatalina.com/contact.html

and finally

unitecnologica.edu.co/internacionalizacion/n…

3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo female traveller wanting to learn spanish in Cartagena

Muchas gracias! I will look into all of these, your links were very helpful as all the courses seem to be quite different from each other.

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cartagena
Level Contributor
4,298 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo female traveller wanting to learn spanish in Cartagena

Nueva Lengua has received good reviews on this forum.

Edited: 7:07 pm, July 01, 2013
Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo female traveller wanting to learn spanish in Cartagena

Hi I studied at Nueva Lengua it was so-so. Way too much grammar and not enough practical exercises. I lived in Cartagena for six months and would recommend Gustavo Valiente Mosquera who is above and beyond one of the best teachers I have ever had. He is still my teacher now. gustavovalientemosquera@gmail.com

Punjub
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo female traveller wanting to learn spanish in Cartagena

Just arrived Cartagena. Realize how little most people speak English here. I need to learn Spanish ASAP. I am curious which school the OP chose and how you like it.

3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo female traveller wanting to learn spanish in Cartagena

I ended up going with Nueva Lengua and was really happy with them. I am too busy doing some Spanish revision at the moment to do more than copy and paste my review I wrote for them, but it tells you enough I think. They put me into an intermediate clad because my reading and writing is Ok, and although I found it hard it was good to be completely immersed. I could hold conversations after three weeks.

I am very happy to have invested the time and money into a month studying Spanish at Nueva Lengua in Cartagena. I feel that I am now much more prepared to travel through Latin America because I have a solid grounding in the language. I studied Spanish at high school ten years ago, but when I arrived here I could understand hardly anything and say absolutely nothing. The teachers at Nueva Lengua encourage us to speak and listen soley in Spanish, and while this is uncomfortable at first it forces us to be thrown in the deep end which is really the only way to learn. The first three weeks were difficult and tiring, but the teachers understand that we all need to learn at our own pace and our classes are always fun. As of yesterday I am finally able to speak with some confidence in Spanish, which is a goal that always seemed so unattainable. I am hugely grateful to my lovely, supportive and hilarious teachers Ligia and Sirle for helping me so much and pushing me to break boundaries in the language. The school administration was also very accommodating when my travel plans changed and I became ill. I would absolutely do this again if I had the chance, and recommend it strongly to anyone thinking of travelling in South America

Denver, Colorado
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Solo female traveller wanting to learn spanish in Cartagena

i would recommend Babel school cartagena. the other schools mentioned are much more expensive and the classes are too many students per teacher. Babel provides excellent service for the cost. I would recommend using a school versus a private tutor because the school offers more support in terms of cultural and social activities, it gives the students a place to congregate and socialize. Additionally the school looks after the students by providing them support and advice if they have any problems while living abroad. It is a nice safety net worth having.

10. Re: Solo female traveller wanting to learn spanish in Cartagena

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:05 pm, February 11, 2014

Reply to: Solo female traveller wanting to learn spanish in Cartagena
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted