We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Columbia to Rio

Newcastle, England...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
From Columbia to Rio

Hi there,

I am looking to get from Columbia at the end of January down to Rio in Brazil. Everybody seems to say doing it by bus would be crazy?

Is there a train service that gets you down? anything but flying basically and in a relatively short amount of time.

I was advised about there being a train service but cannot find any information about this on the web.

Thanks

lulu

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
268 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Columbia to Rio

First it is Colombia with an 'O'.

I have been to both places/cities and traveled within those countries. I suggest that you look at a map and see the distance involved no to mention the mountains, rivers, jungle, lakes, natives, gorilla military, drug runners, bandiitos, etc...... but it would be one hell of an adventure and I would love to read the book you write about it!

Gods speed!

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
723 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Columbia to Rio

This is a joke, right?

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Columbia to Rio

Train - no, never seen a train in Colombia, some old tracks in Cali and that is about it, although the Metro is very nice in Medellin,

Short amoun of time - that always means flying in S america, bus service can be great but not always quick, i doubt you could get there by bus anyway.

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
3,771 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Columbia to Rio

Yes folks, once apon a time there was a train sevice in Colombia.

In the 70's I rode the train from Santa Marta - Bogota as luck may have it was starting off point to meeting my wife.

Moving forward a few years back I revisited the old train station to embark on the tourist train: Tren Touristico de La Sabana.

Will any of this help the op find a train - Rio , no but at least he will be able to ride the train part way to Facatativa - catch a cab to BOG.

http://www.turistren.com.co/

12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: From Columbia to Rio

Hi, i tried to find a train when i travelled from peru to rio, but nothing goes all the way, you will probably have to go by bus, it takes a while though, so i suggest stopping off to see some sights on the way. Chez

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
5,950 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Columbia to Rio

Going via the Amazon requires patience. Fly to Leticia, then boat down to Manaus. From there you can fly to Rio: no roads out of Manaus to speak of.

If I had a couple of months I'd consider bussing down through Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia and then taking the notorious train from Santa Cruz to the Brazilian border.

However, the OP hasn't come back, so I guess she's been frightened off by the aggressive comments.

7. Re: From Columbia to Rio

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, November 29, 2013