We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bogota - The Cathedral of Zipaquira

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
186 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Bogota - The Cathedral of Zipaquira

My wife is pregnant and we are planning to fly to Bogota in about 2 months she will be on her 5th month of pregnancy. Is there any risk for her pregnancy if we go to the Salt Cathedral of Zipaquira. Just curious about hat place.

Any other must see places in Bogota.

Thank you for your help

John / Atlanta, GA

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bogota - The Cathedral of Zipaquira

The Salt Cathedral is huge. There is a lot of walking, mostly on gently descending or ascending ramps, but there are some steps and stairs. Given the amount of walking and the elevation (over 8700ft above sea level), my main concern would be her stamina under those conditions. Yours, too. It does take some time to get used to the elevation in the Bogota area, so you don't want to push things too hard, at least at first.

The two "must see" attractions in Bogota city are the Museo del Oro (the Gold Museum) and the Botero Museum in La Candelaria. They are within walking distance of each other.

Edited: 1:35 am, October 25, 2012
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bogota - The Cathedral of Zipaquira

Agree with the above. The salt mine does involve alot of walking about and it can be slippery in places. Not many seatring areas either. When I went I do remember seeing someone who was quite heavily pregnant and she seemed to be ok.

A must see for me would be Mount Monserrate. A vernicular railway takes people up and down and the view is awesome although the air is a little thinner because it is something like a thousand feet higher than Bogota itself. As said above, the Botero Museum is great and best of all it is free. I was not that keen on Museo Del Oro myself as I found it quite dull.

Personally, I like the flea market in Usaquen. Lots of nice bars and cafes and street performers - interesting for a Sunday morning stroll. Plus I have bought some nice stuff from there too.

Edited: 9:02 am, October 25, 2012
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
278 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bogota - The Cathedral of Zipaquira

John, I would suggest speaking with your family med doctor about the travel and altitude.

I have visited Bogota about 7 or 8 times and the salt mines on 3 occasions - first 1990, next 2010 then 2011. I was last in Bogota this past June.

I am in very good shape YET my body needs exactly 4.5 days to adjust to the altitude of Bogota. I could just about set my clock to it. I have a continual but mild headache for 4.5 days, have trouble sleeping at night which affects my daily quality of the visit. After the 4.5 days I have no issues.

My concern with a 5 month pregnant woman is (1) the light headiness (i.e. risk of falling or stumble) and (2) the travel by bus from Bogota to Zipa (i.e. exertion/road and bus conditions) and (3) the walk up to the salt museum (i.e. it is built inside a mountain and the entrance is from the mid level side of the mountain) (4) inside the salt cavern are both lengths of inclines and declines along with steps.

Personally I would not take the risk because if something happens you are a few hours away from any decent medical hospital which would be in central Bogota.

Visit the golds museums and Montserrat and have fun!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
186 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bogota - The Cathedral of Zipaquira

Well ...based on your responses we decided to go to Villa de Leyva, I think it would be a better destination. Any other recomendations.

Thank you for your responses and recomendations,

John / Atlanta, GA

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
278 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bogota - The Cathedral of Zipaquira

John, good choice with Villa de Leyva, was just there in June and spent a couple nights, very relaxing kind of place, be careful walking with the cobble stone streets, some of the very best photos that I have taken in Colombia were in this pueblo, you will be traveling by bus out of Bogota to get there so be prepared for a 4-5 hour bus trip (they all will say that it's a 2 hour ride, huh)

Other recommendations? Since your in VDL just head North a bit more and visit San Gil and the small pueblos within an hour outside of San Gil.

Have fun and be safe!

6. Re: Bogota - The Cathedral of Zipaquira

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, November 08, 2013