We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fritz the Cat boat - Panama to Colombia

Taganga, Colombia
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Fritz the Cat boat - Panama to Colombia

When we landed, my girlfriend & I, in the hostel in panama city, we wanted to find out about boats to colombia. there was a few going but the one that suited us best, date wise, was Fritz the Cat. We googled it to see what reviews were like but there wasn´t alot of info on him. We met him in the hostel by chance 2 days before we left & he seemed nice so decided to book the trip with him. He was the most expensive but let me tell you, it was worth it. It was the best 5 days of our lives. We met at the pier in Portobello in Panama at 11 on the day of sailing. There was 13 passengers (5 Irish, 3 English, 2 Russian, 2 Swedish & one Argentinian, 4 crew (all who were really friendly), & 3 of the passengers even had their motorbikes with them. Even at that, there was loads of space. We had our own private cabin, as did 3 other couples, but most nights people slept outside to watch the stars. Fritz, the captian used to be a chef & has his deckhand trained brilliantly to cook. The food was amazing, fresh brown bread every morning. No two lunches or dinners were the same, the food was perfect every time. We had brough snacks with us, for a ¨"just incase", we brought them off the boat with us aswell. Loads of fresh fruit there for everyone. Because the boat is a catermaringue, it is really wide with 2 big trampolines out the front & one out the back, so there was oceans of space for everyone to lie around. Fritz himself, is an big, full of life austrian guy. He was the best craic ever & aswell as being friendly & helpfull with info. He brought us to the best places in the san blas islands, where the reefs are amazing. Unlike what some reviews had said that he was sexiest or made remarks towards women, they couldnt have being so wrong. All the women on the boat felt very comfortable around him & there was no sexist remarks at all.

The sailing was the smoothest ever, & there was never any trouble with the boat. There was also loads of gear for everyone for snorkling & you could go along with Fritz when he went spear fishing to help ctach dinner. There was never a problem drinking on board & we connected our ipods to speakers onboard so we could party when we wanted to.

There was always fresh juice made & loads of ice, until the last day when it was all gone. If people ever got hungry between meals, they were always welcome to help themselves to more bread & ham & cheeses & homemade marmalade from the fridge. He brought our passports to be stamped leaving Panama & then in Colombia, he did the same again, saving us so much hassle. We met him that night in a bar in Cartegena where he gave us back our passports with the stamps. (He pays the exit & entry fees for you, that is why he is a little more expensive, others just dump you off & you have to do it yourself). All 13 of us along with the crew partied the night away like we were the best of friends.

Basically, we had the best time ever & it has being the highlight of our trip. We couldnt recommend Fritz the Cat highly enough. & I think I can speak for all 13 of us who were on boat when I say that. I would defo go with Fritz the Cat again if I had the choice.

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cartagena
Level Contributor
4,309 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fritz the Cat boat - Panama to Colombia

Sounds like a wonderful trip. The only thing that you said that concerned me was - you gave him your passports and then met him later in a bar to get them back? Sorry, I would never relinquish my passport to anyone, even in my own country, let alone in Panama or Colombia. Didn't that concern you?

Taganga, Colombia
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fritz the Cat boat - Panama to Colombia

no, not at all. he is a gentleman and we all trusted him. yea, it might have being naive but he was paying our entry fee as it was included in the cost of the boat and it saved us alot of hassle. the 3 bikers had to go back the following day to colllect their motorbikes so we could have gone with them, if there had being any hassle.

Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
Level Contributor
1,959 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fritz the Cat boat - Panama to Colombia

Giving your passports to the captain is the only way to get the outbound and inbound clearances when departing and arriving by boat to almost any country. The captain has to clear all the crew - unless he hires a shipping agent. In many ports the crew aren't allowed off the boat until the captain has done the clearance.

Cheers,

Andrew

fresno, texas
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Fritz the Cat boat - Panama to Colombia

could you please tell me how much does he charges per person?

Taganga, Colombia
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fritz the Cat boat - Panama to Colombia

he was charging about 450 usd as far as i remember (80%). he wasnt the most expensive but was up there. he had the best reputation tho from lots of travelers whom we had met. a friend of mine actually when with fritz there about 2 months ago, he had heard about him in london from someone else & then i said it to him. he loved it, aid the food was fantastic and such craic with fritz. we were one of the last one on the boat when we went and my gf did bargin him down abit. lunas castle in panama city, the main hostel which is really cool, will help with all the details and booking and advice on different ones.

j d
Cartagena, Colombia
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Fritz the Cat boat - Panama to Colombia

I just barely made it out of the ocean alive with 14 others on Fritz-the-Cat, Panama to Columbia. The boat started sinking at 4am on the last day, a couple hours from the port of Cartegena!

Yes, the food was plentiful and good.

1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Fritz the Cat boat - Panama to Colombia

Wow I am in shock because I was on the last journey to Panama on fritz! Any info would be greatly appreciated

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fritz the Cat boat - Panama to Colombia

Fritz the cat sank and did not have enough life raft space for everyone. Luckily the incident occurred near shore on a calm day or this would have been a disaster.. Man overboard drills are not performed and safety training on these private sailboats does not exist. There are several boats offering these trips but you should insist on seeing the life saving gear and that it be up to date. These are off shore trips and should not be taken lightly.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
633 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fritz the Cat boat - Panama to Colombia

Have bad news to report, the boat sank 45 miles off the coast of Colombia after encountering issues with the rear mounted engine and the hull. The news account is in a link below. Everyone is okay and safe.

…foxnews.com/latino/…

10. Re: Fritz the Cat boat - Panama to Colombia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 2:17 am, October 07, 2014