We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving at 630am and trying to catch 830 flight to Uyuni

Which La Paz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
65 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving at 630am and trying to catch 830 flight to Uyuni

I land at 6:30am in La Paz with American Airlines and was hoping to catch the 8:30am departure to Uyuni on Amazonas. Is that enough time?

I will most likely just have a carry on. But not sure how long it takes to get through customs and immigration and then find the check in desk for Amazonas. And if I happen to miss the 8:30am, is Amazonas pretty cool about just putting me on the next flight (there's one around 1pm I think).

Any tips would be greatly appreciated! (Also reading lots of different things on what I need to have to get a travel visa upon arrival... I have a US passport. Any info would be helpful)

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving at 630am and trying to catch 830 flight to Uyuni

When is checkin for the 8.30 flight?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
65 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving at 630am and trying to catch 830 flight to Uyuni

I'm not sure... It's a domestic flight from La Paz to Uyuni, so I'm guessing 7:30am?

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
103 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving at 630am and trying to catch 830 flight to Uyuni

Hi, we did a similar transfer. La Paz airport is TINY so it shouldn't be a problem. You will go through customs, which is fairly quick at that hour. Be sure you have your tourist visa already done, otherwise be prepared to pay the $160 fee and show them your itinerary while in Bolivia.

Once through customs, you will exit the (international) airport, but all you do is swing right and re-enter the (domestic) airport and head to the Amaszonas airline counter which is clearly visible/ Just try and avoid the taxis which are very aggressive since you don't need one obviously.

You should be through quickly, then head over to the nearby counter to pay your airport tax (very small fee, like $5) and they will stamp your ticket with the necessary stamp.

Then head to your gate, which has some very nice food options. Again, the airport is very very small so it's not hard to do all of this quickly.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
65 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving at 630am and trying to catch 830 flight to Uyuni

bboyneko, Thank you so much! That is most helpful. I don't have the travel visa done yet. Just decided to book this trip a few days ago :) I can try to get it done (but the trip is late Feb so coming up fast) How did you get your travel visa ahead of time? Did you fedex the passport to an embassy or physically go to an embassy? (I googled it and there's one in LA)

In case I can't get one ahead of time, did it seem like it'll take a while to get once I'm there? I don't mind paying the $160, just don't want to miss that 8:30am flight because getting the visa takes a while.

5. Re: Arriving at 630am and trying to catch 830 flight to Uyuni

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, February 02, 2015