We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trekking in Boiivia

Newry, United...
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trekking in Boiivia

I am considering going to Bolivia to climb Mount Sajama next year, does anyone have any experience of climbing it ?

I have climbed Kilimanjaro and been to Everest base camp, so am well aware of the altitude.

Can you recommend a good company with good guides ?

What is the best time of year for climbing in Bolivia

Whitehorse, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Trekking in Boiivia

We paid $2,240 USD each for the 16 days w Eduardo. That includes absolutely everything related to climbing: private transport, food, gear (Eduardo had us staying in a brand new North Face Summit series tent!), cook, porters/animals. (We do tend to tip porters, cooks in addition: 20 bolivianos - $3 at a time kind of thing) You can find many cheaper options, but not many better mountain guides.

Newry, United...
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Trekking in Boiivia

Thanks for your post. Sounds you had a good trip and seen quite a lot of the area.

Seems you had some physical problems, had you any altitude experience before you went ?

Approx what price were your day trips ? i assume that US dollars is their currency ?

What was the ice climbibg like, sounsa good !!!!!

Whitehorse, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Trekking in Boiivia

The physical issues were not altitude-related at all - just plain, nasty colds. Also, I injured my foot before we left on this trip which seriously limited my training, so I was not as fit as I wanted to be in the first place. Never underestimate fitness to climb these mountains.

This was our third significant trip to high places (I am not counting skiing in Chile or in Aspen here). We went to Aconcagua base camp (about 4,350 m) in 2007, then Peru - Cordillera Real - and Bolivia in 2010 as part of a 3 months long altitude trekking trip. 3 years ago we actually hiked much of the Cordillera Real - over 9 days and then summitted Huyana Potosi (6,088m), so we now have been to every part except the most westerly (Ancahuma and Illampu) mountains.

We have learned plenty about living high and taking the time to acclimatize. That's why we spent 5 weeks in Bolivia this time again - and we gradually advanced to higher places. That worked great. We never even got a headache!

The day trips were rather cheap, even though you can haggle with the locals - we don't. I just don't see the need. We usually pay in Bolivianos, but you get a choice in some places (for quick conversion 7 bol = $1 US)

Tiwanaku: $10 US + entrance $12 US = $22 US

Horseback excursion 3 to 4 hrs = $66 US

Tuni to Chiar Khota laguna =$65 US

Chacaltaya to Huayna Potosi hike: $75 US plus entrance fee at Chacaltaya $5 = $80 US

(all prices per person)

Note: if you pay by credit card, don't be surprised if they add 5% to pay the costs of using that card. We pay cash whenever we can.

We would tip our hiking guide for the 2 longer excursions maybe 50 bolivianos and the driver another 20. The driver stays there all day, because it's too far to do anything else.

These day trips include private car, driver, guide and food (except Tiwanaku where you can buy a lunch).

Ice climbing there is pretty awesome. Harder at that altitude obviously, everything is. But mostly it's a pretty neat opportunity, unique moment and good training.

14. Re: Trekking in Boiivia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 13, 2014