We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommend something to do around LaPaz between flights?

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Recommend something to do around LaPaz between flights?

Our flight lands in LaPaz at 5:30 am. There was a flight to Sucre at 10:00; however, that flight has now changed to 12:30. We will be coming back to LaPaz for a day later during our trip and staying the the city.

Any recommendations for anything to do for a few hours between flights? There are 5 of us and I'm sure we'd be able to hire a taxi for a few hours. How far is Valley de Luna from the airport? Any other options rather than hanging around the airport for 7 hours.

USA
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommend something to do around LaPaz between flights?

You don't have 7 hrs. More like 4. The airport is in El Alto which sits up at 14,000 ft. Long drive to la Luna.

nyc
Level Contributor
61 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommend something to do around LaPaz between flights?

I hear you...but the altitude in La Paz is killer...drink some coca tea in the airport and take it slow and see how you feel...if you are young and have climbed Mount Everest and not felt any lack of Oxygen...and since you will be in La Paz only one day on your way back...and only if you are super adventurous...then you could get started! I would check in your bags (although La Paz is one of the safest cities in Latin America, it is full of thieves)...then take a taxi either to Plaza Murillo and take a look at the Cathedral and the old Buildings and have Breakfast at Wistupiku on Calle Comercio (Pasteles and Api are soooo yummy and will warm your heart and bones) or head to Perez Velasco and San Francisco Church and walk around Sagarnaga and The Witches Market (one of the 1000 places you must see before you die. Traffic in La Paz is a nightmare, so you should probably head back to the airport at 10:45 at the latest. When you come back you must go to Tiahuanacu, Since you will be cutting it close...I hope you speak some Spanish...

nyc
Level Contributor
61 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommend something to do around LaPaz between flights?

You could do Valle de La Luna if you hire a Taxi. It would probably be a 2 hour ride. 30 minutes to see the Valle, and then rush back for the 2 hour ride to the airport. On the plus side, you would get to see all of La Paz, because you would cut through the whole city. I do not know if us Bolivians do not appreciate what we have, but the Valle would not be on the top list of must sees. (check if the park is open on the day you land and what time it opens.) You will love the views of of our mountains. I would say the whole thing would cost you $30 US.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommend something to do around LaPaz between flights?

Thanks for all the information and your suggestions. I think we'll plan to hire a taxi to take us to Plaza Murillo to see the sites and enjoy a leisurely breakfast. I do have a few questions, however:

How much lower in elevation is the center of town than the airport?

Is it about a 30 taxi ride to Plaza Murillo or longer?

Are there van taxis at the airport as we are a party of 5? Or will we need to take 2 taxis?

Is there a place to store our luggage? Marpaz seems to suggest that there is.

Again, thanks for all the help, Shelley

5. Re: Recommend something to do around LaPaz between flights?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, December 28, 2010