We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Andean Ascents?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
62 posts
8 reviews
13 helpful votes
Andean Ascents?

Hi there...

I was wondering if anyone knows of Andean Ascents? I am coming to Bolivia to do some climbing and trying to decide on who to go with as guide? Been talking with AA and they seem good and experienced with accredited guides. I am doing more challenging peaks, so good, proficient, responsible guiding is vital.

Thanks!

Chris

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
148 posts
7 reviews
3 helpful votes
1. Re: Andean Ascents?

Chris, I was recently in /Bolivia to do the trek down the Cordillera Real. I did research the various climbing and trekking agencies beforehand. Check out my post -

https:/…

There is a section on Reputable Trekking/Climbing Agencies in La Paz that summarizes what I found in the various guide books and from talking to people. Andean Ascents was not one of the agencies that ever came up - though they may provide a perfectly reliable service.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
62 posts
8 reviews
13 helpful votes
2. Re: Andean Ascents?

I have since been to Bolivia and climbed with Alex from Andean Ascents. Absolutely unreal trip! Most challenging trip I've had to the mountains and it was the best guide I've ever had in the mountains, easily.... Did some great peaks, including Chachacomani and learnt a ton about climbing. Never expected to have such a difficult, challenging trip, and I'm sure glad I had Alex leading me. His skill in the sport gave me the confidence to push myself well past what I've ever done on any previous climbing trip.

Had a cook with us while out in the base camps, which was so great! Amazingly awesome to come back from a 14 hour day to hot soup, drinks and food. Had my own tent, a kitchen tent, and the company was great. Maybe even picked up some better Spanish! The Hotel in La Paz was also a sweet base in the city between trips to the mountains.

Can't recommend this company enough, and in particular my guide and new friend Alex. Truly the trip of a lifetime!

Edited: 10:00 pm, October 12, 2016
La Paz
2 posts
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
3. Re: Andean Ascents?

Here are some pictures from the trip with chris

https://goo.gl/photos/y1twtxJd6ibchwB68

Have a look at them !

Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
3 helpful votes
4. Re: Andean Ascents?

Hi, we also just did a trek with Alex from Andean ascents (andeanascents.com). 2 days for huayna potosi at 6094m, 4 days of hiking/camping between 4000 and 5000 m carrying all material and food and cooking tea out of mountain streams, and 2 days around Lake Titicaca. It was a fantastic adventure and I recommend it a 100%. Alex is a real adventurer, the kind of guy who sleeps 150 nights a year in a tent, cooking pasta between lamas and vizcachas. He can bring you everywhere, always finding new routes. So it is important that you plan with him a trek that suits you well. It was sometimes hard but at the end we are so happy we did it and remain with fantastic memories of landscape, friendship, fun, and a lot of anecdotes to tell our friends once back home... and of course a new friend, Alex :-). Honestly, we will never forget that trip. No way to find such an intensive adventure on standard tourists tours.

Bern, Switzerland
1 post
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
5. Re: Andean Ascents?

We went with the best guide I could ever have asked for. It was Alex from Andean Asecents.

Alex organized everything perfectly and in addition to the climb he also organized a trip to Salar de Uyuni for us (including transportation to Uyuni and back to La Paz).

Alex is a very knowledgeable and interesting guy (also speaks many languages) and made us feel save during the whole trip. I am pretty sure we would not have made it with another agency. I've been on many treks and climbs all over the world before, but this one was just extraordinary - thanks to Alex. He always found the right balance between being in "guide mode" and being fun to hang around with.

It's been a special experience I will never forget. Thanks for the many tips, the really good accommodation, the lovely food and your perfect guidance.

You can maybe find agencies that offer tours that are a tad cheaper, but if you go with Andean Ascents, it's money well spent. The material they use is of very good quality, you will learn a lot, enjoy great food and feel save.

Verbier, Switzerland
1 post
6. Re: Andean Ascents?

A recommander absolument : on a eu l'occasion de découvrir la Bolivie d'une manière unique. Nous revenons d'un trek de 2 semaines, avec notamment la traversée à pied des salars inondés avec nuits sous tente, puis l'ascension de volcans dans le Sud Lipez et le Parc National de Sajama. L'organisation experte d'Alex nous a permis de nous acclimater avec divers sommets et d'atteindre les 6338 m en se sentant à l'aise et toujours en sécurité. Ses connaissances sur la nature et la culture permettent d'en apprendre beaucoup plus que tous les circuits touristiques traditionnels.

En bonus, une immersion complète avec les habitants des villages de l'altiplano, et une bonne ambiance de groupe assurée.

We recommand, the best way to discover the Andes. We did a 2 weeks trek, we walked 3 days in the flooded salt flat, then we climbed 4 different volcanoes in the South Lipez and the National Park of Sajama. We appreciate the amazing organisation, we went step by step to finally reach 6338 m in a good feeling and security. Alex’s knowledges about nature and culture are very interesting.

Geneva, Switzerland
2 posts
7. Re: Andean Ascents?

Hello!

I have been a month in Bolivia, first traveling 15 days with a group of 4 on the altiplano with Alex from Andean Ascents as guide, and then in the jungle.

The trip on the altiplano has been simply amazing, very well prepared by Alex, who organized a great mix of hiking and visits. In only 2 weeks, we could climb many mountains and important volcanos, and also see the main attractions of the altiplano, and all that always with fun. Although we have been few days on the same road than the normal touristic trips, I never felt it. Alex knows perfectly the country, and that is certainly why he makes the difference. Particularly, he has an excellent knowledge of the nature, but also on other subjects like history or politics, and gives very interesting information while traveling or in the evening around a beer.

After the altiplano, I travelled without the group in the jungle, I organized everything with Alex. Of course it was completely different, I did the trip with a guide friend of Alex. Again I was out of the touristic things and the experience has also been amazing, very interesting and fun.

Thanks a lot Alex for all those great moments !

Geneva, Switzerland
2 posts
8. Re: Andean Ascents?

Holá !

Estuvé un mes en Bolivia, primero viajando 15 diás con un grupo de 4 sobre el altiplano con Alex de Andean Ascents como guía, y luego en la selva.

El viaje sobre el altiplano ha estado simplamente maravilloso, muy bien preparado por Alex, quien organizó un excelente mescla de escaladas y visitas. En solo 2 semanas pudimos subir varias montañas y volcanos importantes, y también ver las atraciones principales del altiplano. Aunque estuvimos unos diás sobre las rutas turisticas normales, nunca lo sentí. Alex conoce perfectamente el país, y es definitivamente lo que marca una diferencia con Alex. Particularmente, el tiene un eccelente conocimiento de la naturaleza, y también de otros subjectos como la historia o la politica, y da informaciones muy interesantes mientras el viaje o con una cerveza en la noche.

Despuès del altiplano, viajé solo en la selva amazonica, organizé todo con Alex. Por supuesto estaba completamente diferente, hice esta parte con un guía amigo de Alex. De nuevo estaba fuera de la cosas turisticas y la experiencia fue muy interesante y entretenida.

Muchas gracias Alex !

9. Re: Andean Ascents?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 12, 2018