We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Paz - Uyuni - San Pedro de Atacama - Santiago

London
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
La Paz - Uyuni - San Pedro de Atacama - Santiago

is this itiinerary posssible overland using buses?

I only have a week to get from La Paz to Santiago and want to see the Uyuni salt lakes in Bolivia, and then to San Pedro de Atacama and then onto Santiago..

Hoping someone can advise if this is feasible?

Thanks

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Paz - Uyuni - San Pedro de Atacama - Santiago

Hi there

I've just got back from a wonderful trip in South America. We flew in to Santiago and the next day got a bus to San Pedro de Atacama which took 24 hours. We spent a few days there before doing a 3-day tour across the altiplano/salt lakes to Uyuni where we arrived at about noon and got a 10-hour bus trip to La Paz that evening. So it's quite feasible for you to do it in reverse. We did the altiplano/salt lakes tour with Colque Tours and it cost US$80 each - it was fantastic!! Very basic accommodation, but if you don't expect much you won't be disappointed! The scenery was amazing - you really feel on top of the world! We are older (50+) and were able to cope with this fine, apart from my partner suffering from altitude sickness quite badly. The bus trip between Uyuni and La Paz was terrible - cold, no toilet on board, but Santiago to San Pedro de Atacama was very comfortable. Have a great trip!

2. Re: La Paz - Uyuni - San Pedro de Atacama - Santiago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:31 am, August 26, 2009