We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel into Bolivia from Atacama and getting around Bolivia

London
Level Contributor
28 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Travel into Bolivia from Atacama and getting around Bolivia

I am really tempted to book tours in advance to Bolivia - how easy is it to organise this (solo female, no Spanish)? And can anyone recommend any companies?

So far, I have Uyuni, La Paz and Lake Titicaca on my list. Anywhere else i should go? I will have about 2 weeks (or a couple days more). The next trip would be into Quito (Ecuador) - where I want to visit the Galapagos

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel into Bolivia from Atacama and getting around Bolivia

There are lots of agencies in San Pedro de Atacama. Visit them and see who offers the best trip that suits your needs.

There is a lot to see in Bolivia - what is it that you are looking for ?

London
Level Contributor
28 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel into Bolivia from Atacama and getting around Bolivia

Thank you for replying Peter! I want to pace my trip and not go haring from one attraction to the next. So far, Uyuni, Eduardo Avaroa and the Laguna Colorada. Then La Paz (Tiwanu, Isla del Sol). Is Potosi worth going to? Is there anywhere else that is a must do? I was going to avoid Sucre just because it seemed to be more of a city, and I am short of time. What do you think?

As I will be there in Nov, is it worth going into the Amazon?

And finally, can I get into Ecuador overland from Bolivia or is it better to go by air? I am now thinking of abandoning the Galapagos so i have a fighting chance of seeing Ecuador properly.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel into Bolivia from Atacama and getting around Bolivia

You have to decide if somewhere is worth it. I can't do it for you.

London
Level Contributor
2,336 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel into Bolivia from Atacama and getting around Bolivia

Hi Shaz,

Bolivia is pretty easy to get around independently but not having any Spanish does make it a lot more difficult. http://www.kanootours.com/ws/ in la. Paz have a good reputation. We didn't use them but we poped into there office and they were very helpful.

Bolivia has so many places of interest that it makes it difficult to choose. Here is a link to our blog from last year which has some detail and photos of the places we visited which may be of some help.

…travelpod.com/travel-blog/…tpod.html

Entries 32-34 cover Bolivia.

Getting to Ecuador from Bolivia by land would involve a very long trip through Peru by bus - probably 3-5 days. Are you not going to Peru?

We decided not to bother with the Galapagos in favour of spending more time in the rest of Ecuador and were glad we did as there is a huge amount to see and do there.

London
Level Contributor
28 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel into Bolivia from Atacama and getting around Bolivia

I know you can't help me choose Peter... It is just rather overwhelming at first!! :)

Thank you Crellston. I read your blog entries and am pretty much going in the opposite direction (and missing out Peru) of your South American trip. I will be going into Uyuni from Atacama, ie the way that everyone else is and which you ran counter to.... My thinking is Uyuni to Potosi (via bus) and then Potosi to La Paz (prob via Sucre). And then spending most of my time, a week or so, in La Paz incl Lake Titicaca (and not Isla del Sol). From what other travelers write about LP, it seems to be pretty special. The markets in LP sound awesome and I am always up for an alpaca blanket!

Is a week in LP enough or overkill? Next for me will be Ecuador but the more I look into it, the more there is to do - Galapagos notwithstanding, which was the original reason for going. But now in risk of being ditched.

London
Level Contributor
2,336 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel into Bolivia from Atacama and getting around Bolivia

I think we spent about 5 days in LP which is an amazing place and certainly the most "South American " of all the capitals. It was about the right amount of time for us but we came down from Copacabana. The bus ride between the two takes you through some spectacular scenery, one of the most impressive bus rides I have taken anywhere in the world . Make sure you take a tour up to El Alto in LP.

There is a lot to do in and around the city so a week should be plenty. If you are not going into Peru then I presume you will just do an overnight trip to. Copa? We just did a half day boat trip to Isla del Sol which was plenty. I wouldn't have wanted to stay there but the boat trip was a great way to get some idea of the size of the lake.

The only problem with Alpaca goods in LP is the sheer amount and variety on offer. The prices are unbelievably cheap. We bought alpaca scarves as xmas gifts for family and sent them home. They cost one tenth of the same scarves in Harrods!

Sucre is a lovely city and worth a couple of days. We just passed through Potosi and, whilst I know there is a nice colonial centre, I was glad we did as it did seem a bit of a dump, at least from the bus.

7. Re: Travel into Bolivia from Atacama and getting around Bolivia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 18, 2015