We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uyuni to Potosi by taxi or bus

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Topic
Uyuni to Potosi by taxi or bus

Hi,

I'm going to be travelling through Bolivia for about 9/10 days in May. I hope to do the 3 day Unuyi salt plains tour from San Pedro in Chile and then on the 3rd day rather than staying in Unuyi i''d like to head straight to Potosi. I believe the tours generally end in Uyuni at approx 3pm.

Are there any late afternoon buses to Potosi from Uyuni? Alternatively how much would a taxi cost to make the trip? I believe it'll take about 5hrs by taxi and 6 by bus. Does this sound about right?

Finally what is the temperature like in early may during the day and at night on the salt flats?

Thanks in advance.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Uyuni to Potosi by taxi or bus

As no one has replied, here goes....

There is a reference in this web site (see 2) to a 7pm bus from Unuyni to Potosi.

www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa…

Apart from that I can find reference and times for buses between Potosi and Uyuni but not the other way....

http://www.hoteluyuni.com/howtoget.html

You could always try emailing them to ask.

We had a car between Uyuni and Potosi. It took us just under 6 hours but that did include a stop to look at Pulacayo (possibly about an hour).

Day time temperatures in the sun will feel warm (as long as there isn't a wind to cool you). Night time temperatures will be cold - seriously cold. Figures of -20 or even colder are likely. Wind chill will make it feel colder still. Depending on accommodation booked, there may not be much in the way of overnight heating,

uyuni-bolivia.travel/salar-de-uyuni-weather

It's a fantastic trip across the salar.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Uyuni to Potosi by taxi or bus

Thanks for the response EESW...I was born in Scunthorpe so it's nice to know the folks there are so helpful;)

According to that website the temperatures can reach -40 in May. May have to bite the bullet and pay for an expensive tour that includes the heated hotels.

Thanks again!

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Uyuni to Potosi by taxi or bus

We did the trip in April so night temperatures weren't too much of an issue. We stopped in the Tayka Hotels. There was a heater in the rooms and the beds had a thin but very effective duvet. We enjoyed them. OK facitities were basic and some people complained about lack of TV and internet...but lets face it this is the desert miles from civilisation.... Heating and light is by solar panels so be prepared for the hot water to run out and lights are turned out between 9-10pm. There are no mobile phones so communication is by radio.

If you are interested my reviews are here:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g317033-d1217…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g317033-d1…

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g317033-d8546…

And a review of our trip:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g317033-d3…

Enjoy your trip

Eleanor

4. Re: Uyuni to Potosi by taxi or bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, June 30, 2011