We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a trip to Bolivia...seeking information :)

New Zealand
3 posts
Save Topic
Planning a trip to Bolivia...seeking information :)

Hi all

Im planning a 1 or 2 month trip to Bolivia from New Zealand. Luckily I already have somebody to stay with for my stay, so im after some general information about the country and the culture.

For my time in Bolivia Im going to be staying in the city of Santa Cruz.

Im looking for some advice, information, warnings and things I need to make sure I get done, here in NZ, before I go...

Absolutely any information will be a great help as I really cannot find much information about travelling to and staying in Bolivia.

Thank you for your help

=)

Mentioned in this post
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
Galapagos Islands, Ecuador
punta del este...
Level Contributor
464 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a trip to Bolivia...seeking information :)

Rebel:

I've seen conflicting reports on the requirement for a visa for NZ nationals -- some say yes, others no. I don't think there is a Bolivian consulate in New Zealand but there's one in Sydnay at 74 Pitt St. 2000 Sydney NSW -- I would contact them to be sure. Regardless, the maximum tourist stay is 30 days but renewable if you visit a neighboring country (Brazil, for example) and then return.

Apart from the routine vaccinations, yellow fever immunization is required -- check with your local health services. Typhoid and hepatitis A & B, while not required, are wise to get. Malaria is endemic in Santa Cruz de la Sierra -- make sure your doctor provides for doxycycline or atovuquone -- chloroquine is NOT effective against the local strains. Any other medications, including insect repellant, are readily available in Bolivia.

Invest in a good, light-weight mosquito net.

Getting to Santa Cruz may be the hardest part: from NZ I'd recommend LAN-Chile or (very secondly) Aerolineas Argentinas to Buenos Aires -- the former stops in Santiago. From BA you can grab a non-stop Aero Sur (Bolivian) flight to Santa Cruz.

As you're probably aware, Santa Cruz is tropical--bring light clothing suitable for a Queensland vacation. And while it's probably the most cosmopolitan city in Bolivia, the locals are not known for their language skills -- if you don't already speak some Spanish, a quick course would be worthwhile. Proximity to Brazil (an overnight train ride away) means Portuguese is widely understood and Brazilian goods are readily available. Their version of Spanish is pretty easy for a foreigner who already speaks some to grasp.

I think you'll find the local people very open, friendly, gregarious (compared to their highland cousins), casual in dress, and much less xenophobic. Unless you know the individual very well, it would not be wise to praise Evo Morales and the La Paz government highly -- this is the heart of the break-away zone.

Sure your friend will acquaint you with all the local tourist sites. Enjoy.

Mentioned in this post
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
Brazil
Brazil
South America
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal District, Argentina
Santiago
Santiago
Queensland
Queensland
Australia
Santa Cruz, Bolivia
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a trip to Bolivia...seeking information :)

I have a website in English all about Eastern Bolivia (and most specifically dedicated to Santa Cruz). You might be interested in these pages for sights to see:

www.boliviabella.com/tours.html

www.boliviabella.com/tourism.html

www.boliviabella.com/ecotourism.html

www.boliviabella.com/sites.html

www.boliviabella.com/entertainment.html

www.boliviabella.com/santa-cruz.html

www.boliviabella.com/photo-gallery.html

And so on and so forth...

Enjoy.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
3. Re: Planning a trip to Bolivia...seeking information :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 pm, October 21, 2009