We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help = UK travel agents are useless!!

Midlands, England
Level Contributor
14 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Please help = UK travel agents are useless!!

Hi - im planning a two week trip to south america - i really want to do two places ideally bolivia around the santa cruz area and then anywhere else...this is where i am struggling! I would like to do some exploring then end up for a few days with a relaxed beach thing - but where to go - Brazil, Chile, how would we get about - is it easy to travel - where is good to go - as i said help from uk agents is pathetic so any help would be so greatly recieved - were looking at going in november this year - PLEASE HELP!! x

New York
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help = UK travel agents are useless!!

there is a lot of conflict right now in santa cruz...check out some news online, you should find some info on whether or not you should go there

beaches in chile will not be that hot in november...maybe 65-70 degrees...your best bet would be going to brazilian beaches if you want to soak some sun..

Cochabamba, Bolivia
Level Contributor
25 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help = UK travel agents are useless!!

Hello!

Greetings from Bolivia!

Santa Cruz has beautiful places to visit. I can recommend visiting the San Ignacio de Chiquitos area to visit old Jesuit missionary temples that are beautiful, the area it is located in the amazonian rain forest part of Bolivia. Guarani people are amazing and they art it is beautiful. Yearly they have a Missionary Baroque Music Festival. And the Hotels and tourist services are excellent. From there you can go to the Parque Noel Kempff Mercado that it is an incredible place for get in contact with virgin nature! Personally I don't like the city of Santa Cruz but the surround areas are really amazing.

After that I can recommend going to Brazil to the area of the State of Santa Catarina to the city of Florianopolis and surrounds. Far from big cities, far from the crowd of tourists, the ideal travel for relaxation. November it is summer in the south hemisphere so it will be a beautiful time to come.

I don't recommend Chile for beaches, I went once and I didn't like at all, the sand is black and dirty, the pacific ocean is cold and hostile, hotels are expensive.

Don't be so harsh with the travel agents in the UK, I am sure they are trying to do the best, the problem is that Bolivia it is not a very important tourist attraction, and we don't have a very good promotions to attract tourists.

Cochabamba, Bolivia
Level Contributor
25 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help = UK travel agents are useless!!

I forgot to tell you that you should not worry about the political situation, for many years politicians are been trying to bring instability to the region just for their own benefits, but normal people live their life in peace and tourist are always been welcome and protected in difficult situations.

I think these problems we are living now will be solved in few days... you have to check the news before coming so you don't have problems with travel cancellations or road blockages that are the real concern that can alter your trip.

Midlands, England
Level Contributor
14 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help = UK travel agents are useless!!

Thank you for your advice its given us a lot to think about - I now think we will start off in Rio and fly out of buenas aries but have no idea what to do or where to go inbetween - i am thinking more than one trip will be needed!! WOuld you think it is safe to travel around alone?

Santa Cruz, Bolivia
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help = UK travel agents are useless!!

Hi. I live in Santa Cruz and have a website that is exclusively all about Santa Cruz.

Check it out for all kinds of places to go and things to do, but be advised - right now we are in a very serious conflictive situation - traveling to Bolivia at this time is not that advisable.

Watch the news (you can watch Bolivian TV stations on my site too) and try to keep up with it because things can either get better or get worse at a moment's notice right now.

I think it's great that the person who previously answered you is so positive. It's what we need - more positive thinking like that. There are enough sites and news stations telling only negative sides of the story.

www.boliviabella.com

Turkey
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help = UK travel agents are useless!!

Hello, you can find useful information about Bolivia and its touristic places at www.boliviatravelsite.com .Contact its operators by Skype that's the short cut. Cheers P.

Byron Bay
Level Contributor
63 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help = UK travel agents are useless!!

Hi Corhiain,

we went thru the same problem when I was trying to get info to go to South America, we couldn't get any decent advice about recommended travel agents etc. In the end I booked directly with a hotel in La Paz and they organised travel and their sister hotel in Copacabana which was one of the highlights of our holiday. We took a leap of faith and booked our Peru trip with Peru for Less. We did all our own thing and they just arranged transport between places and accommodation. We also picked out the odd tour which they also picked us up. We couldn't fault them. We were so impressed that we recommended friends who went the following year and they also said they were faultless. When we went they were just organising holidays in Peru but were just about to branch into other countries.

If I had listened to all the rubbish I was sent about getting around in Bolivia I would have cancelled the trip as there were so many postings that turned out to be untrue or dramatising risk or problems.

8. Re: Please help = UK travel agents are useless!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:25 am, October 18, 2009