We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

more on car rentals in PDE

Portland, Oregon
7 posts
Save Topic
more on car rentals in PDE

Hello!

I know this topic was addressed already, but I have a couple of more questions -- any advice is very much appreciated!

So, my husband and I are spending just three days in Jose Igancio, after trekking in the Andes. We are staying at La Posada de Faro, and planning on a lot of down time.

At the hotel, they suggested that we rent a car. But because we are (sadly) typical Americans, we can only drive automatic transmissions. Which are extremely expensive -- we need to have something left to pay for our splurge dinner at Los Negros!

So, I am wondering if there is any kind of hotel shuttle bus from the airport that would let us avoid renting a car?

It looks like the hotel has bikes and golf carts, so I guess if we want to explore, we can use those. But in case we do want to go to La Barra once, is there any kind of local bus service at all?

Thank you, by the way, for the tips about La Huella. We will make a reservation there, it sounds great. Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
La Huella
La Huella
2,225 Reviews
Jose Ignacio, Uruguay
The Grand Hotel
The Grand Hotel
#1 of 68 hotels in Punta del Este
Barradas Parque Hotel & Spa
Barradas Parque Hotel & Spa
#5 of 68 hotels in Punta del Este
Awa Boutique and Design Hotel
Awa Boutique and Design Hotel
#6 of 68 hotels in Punta del Este
Brasilia, DF
Level Contributor
634 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: more on car rentals in PDE

you´ve got local buses that goes form la barra to jose ignacio, or maldonado jose ignacio, theres another bus taht also goes from montevideo to jose ignacio , thats COT bus company

Be aware you probably will have to wait quiet a lot of time for the buses

Punta del Este...
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: more on car rentals in PDE

If you're flying into Montevideo, there's a bus to Punta del Este and from there you can take local buses to Jose Ignacio. Not sure how convenient the timing of the local buses will be. If you're flying into Punta del Este's airport, I don't know if there are buses but assume there are. (Other locals, what's the story from the Punta airport?) (There's probably a shuttle bus for the Conrad, but not another hotel shuttle bus.) Once you're at the Posada, whether you have to have a car dependes on how often you decide to leave Jose Ignacio. If once to La Barra, you can wait for a bus or even call a taxi (pretty expensive, I imagine). If you decide you want to see the area (highly recommended), you will definitely need a car. Do not fear a stick-shift car -- it takes 5 minutes to learn to drive one. A prediction -- after experiencing La Huella, if you're here during the time when it's hopping, you will forget about Los Negros.

Mentioned in this post
Montevideo
Montevideo
Montevideo Department, Uruguay
Punta del Este
Punta del Este
Maldonado Department, Uruguay
Jose Ignacio
Jose Ignacio
La Huella
La Huella
2,225 Reviews
Jose Ignacio, Uruguay
Portland, Oregon
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: more on car rentals in PDE

Punta, milu, thank you so much for such thoughtful answers! what a good forum this seems to be. People really take the time to help out. I hope I can return the favor someday -- San Francisco to Vancouver, BC, is a great trip, and Portland is one of the nicest stops along the way! Off now to read some more of Punta's great advice about Buenos Aires, as we are spending five days there, as well. Cheers!

Mentioned in this post
Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal District, Argentina
San Francisco
Level Contributor
466 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: more on car rentals in PDE

I'll be at Posada Del Faro from Dec. 25-29th... I'll have a car, if you need a ride to La Barra, I'd be happy to help you out.. as my GF and I will probably do some sightseeing/beach sitting around the area.. but we plan on staying pretty close to the hotel for the most part as we will be pretty tired from our chilean adventure tourism the previous week..

let us know how you find the hotel!.. damn it ain't cheap!

Portland, Oregon
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: more on car rentals in PDE

Hi sfspanky, I didn't mean to ignore you, I've just been spending more time lurking on the Buenos Aires forums lately, because that seems like the part of our trip that will require more advance preparation...for the beach in Uruguay, I am envisioning a lot of reading and napping, perhaps broken up by a walk on the beach..we'll be coming off four days of trekking in Bariloche, so I think we'll have earned the break!

Thanks, too, for your lovely offer. We'll actually be there on different dates -- December 13-16th, so we don't coincide, but I'll definitely report back about the hotel. Yes, it is pricey. It's our splurge for the trip, for sure.

We decided not to rent a car. I've been emailing back and forth with the very nice guy who deals with reservations at the hotel, and he tells me that there is a bus system, and also a driver who could pick us up at the airport. The hotel also has free bikes, which we will probably make use of.

too bad we won't be there at the same time..it's always good to meet fellow adventurers. take care!

Mentioned in this post
Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal District, Argentina
Uruguay
Uruguay
South America
Punta del Este...
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: more on car rentals in PDE

sf.pelkey and jrls, just to whet your appetite more . . . My wife and I went to La Huella in Jose Ignacio again yesterday evening for drinks at the bar, and then drove over to the beach in front of La Posada (about 500 meters) to watch the sunset. Heaven. And today was the best day of the dawning season in the Punta area -- perfect temperature, completely clear azur skies, actually lots of people on the beaches already. Hurry, hurry on down.

Mentioned in this post
La Huella
La Huella
2,225 Reviews
Jose Ignacio, Uruguay
Jose Ignacio
Jose Ignacio
San Francisco
Level Contributor
466 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: more on car rentals in PDE

oh boy lugano, that sounds nice!.. I imagine it will be even warmer (how s the water temperature?) come late december?

maybe I should re-think all my time in chile working hard.. hehe.. it IS vacation..

jrls (spanky?)..

I don't see us using our rental car much more then for the ride to the hotel and back to the airpor/buquebus.. I just like knowing it's going to be there.. and will multi car.. I was able to get one for $200 for 5 days which isn't bad at all...

jrls, I look forward to reading your review while I'm in chile when you get home!.. happy holidays everybody.. I'm getting the travel ITCH as california starts to get COOOOOLD

San Francisco
Level Contributor
466 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: more on car rentals in PDE

jruls,

the private car ride from the MVD aeroport to Posada Del Faro is $100... and the ride back too is $100

for $200, you can rent a car from

http://www.redmulticar.com/uk_index.html

for 5 days.. and have more auntonomy in your decisions of where to go.. just a thought.. check it out..

otherwise, have a great time!.. I hope to!

Punta del Este...
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: more on car rentals in PDE

sf.pelkey, the water is just warming up. By late December it will be fine. It's never "warm" water here, i.e., not Florida, but it's swimmable.

Montevideo, Uruguay
Level Contributor
385 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: more on car rentals in PDE

Yesterday I had a short bath in P 35 (Mansa Beach, but the nicest zone of it in my opinion) and the water was wonderful! Cold when I got off the water bbrrrr!