We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

currency

Which Punta del Este hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Jose,calif
Level Contributor
69 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
currency

I willy be at Montevideo and Punt a Este for 2 days shore excursions ,part of my cruise, should I exchange from US dollars to Uruguay peso or I can use the US D instead ? Thanks

Punta del Este
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: currency

No need to exchange, if you bring different denomination dollar bills, for tips or small souvenirs

San Jose,calif
Level Contributor
69 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: currency

Thanks for your help in solving my confusion.

Punta del Este...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Punta del Este
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: currency

You may not get as good an exchange rate using Dollars for purchases as you would exchanging those Dollars for Pesos to make the purchases. You can quickly figure this out by comparing the rates, and decide from there whether to exchange currency or not.

You will get the best rate by using a credit card and making sure they charge you in Pesos, not Dollars.

Punta del Este
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: currency

That's not right. When you say you want to pay in dollars and ask them what rate they take by dollar you can negotiate it, and most likely they will tell you they round it up to 20 if you buy several items

Punta del Este...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Punta del Este
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: currency

Uruguayan, if what you say is correct for the places where the poster wants to purchase things, the poster will be better off using Dollars. If the places where he or she wants to buy don't do what you say, the poster might be better off exchanging Dollars.

The currency exchange houses will also negotiate rates.

Now, the fact of the matter is that if the poster is only buying a few trinkets he or she is probably better off avoiding the hassle of exchanging and just using Dollars, as you suggested. I was throwing out the alternative, and the comparison shopping thought, in case the poster would be making substantial purchases.

Montevideo, Uruguay
Level Contributor
788 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: currency

Fully agreed with Uruguayan, if you pay directly in dollars, most of shops (including restaurants and bars) will give you a better rate than exchange houses.

The capacity on negotiate currency on exchange houses will depend on amount to be changed but in shops, they will be more flexible as they will have more interest on selling something.

Anyway, the difference will be small, you can get 19 pesos for each dollar in an exchange house and 20 pesos for each dollar in a shop.

Another thing to be considered is that a few shops may refuse to accept a hundred dollar bill. Is better to have some change.

If you gonna pay in a restaurant, is better to pay with credit card as you will have a tax refund of 22%.

7. Re: currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, February 03, 2014