We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buenos Aires or Punta del Este for NYE?

Which Punta del Este hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Long Beach, New York
1 post
Save Topic
Buenos Aires or Punta del Este for NYE?

Hello,

My friend and I are going to be in Buenos Aires for NYE. We are considering traveling to Punta Del Este on NYE and staying until January 2nd. Is it worth the trip? It seems that it is going to take me 5 hours each way and cost $270 US dollars (not including hotel cost). What is NYE like in Punta?

Punta del Este...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Punta del Este
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buenos Aires or Punta del Este for NYE?

NYE in Punta is lots of parties in private homes, the usual special deals in restaurants, huge fireworks displays at midnight for tens of miles along the beaches (quite spectacular), more parties until 7-8 a.m., the next day on the beach, recovering. It's big, festive, probably like NYE at other major beach resorts in the southern hemisphere. It's usually difficult to find a place to stay for only one or two nights over NYE, so even if you decide you want to do it, it could be difficult. Also, as I said, the parties are mostly in private homes, although getting an invitation is easy if you're young and attractive and just ask around.

Long Beach, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Buenos Aires or Punta del Este for NYE?

Thank you so much for your help. That sounds like it would be a fun time. For the restaurants - would my friend and I have to make reservations in advance? Can we just stay on the beach and party? We were able to book two nights in a hostel. Generally, are hostels safe in Punta? What would a NYE in Buenos Aires consist of?

Again, thanks for your feedback!

Punta del Este...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Punta del Este
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buenos Aires or Punta del Este for NYE?

As far as I've ever heard, hostels are safe. I guess there's always some sight risk, but Punta is basically very safe. Reservationsin advance are necessary for the top restaurants, but can be made the same day for others. There will be people partying on some beaches, but you need to ask in advance that day which ones -- I don't know the party beaches for NYE, as we're always in a home.

NYE in BA is pretty quiet because it's summer and many have left town. Restaurants have special meals and party hats and such -- very expensive at the better restaurants. Whatever partying for young people there is will be in Palermo SoHo or San Telmo.

Montevideo, Uruguay
Level Contributor
788 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buenos Aires or Punta del Este for NYE?

Hi Carly, Punta del Este is one of the most famous resort in South America (if not the most famous). Despite could be quite expensive between December 25th and January 31th you will found a good weather, great beaches and most important, very good people having party everywhere, it's not like "wild on" but anyway it's safe and funny.

Regarding hostels, they are safe at Punta del Este and for restaurants, a book in advance is strongly recommended specially for NYE dinner.

Hope you decide to visit our country.

You may consider also Punta del Diablo and la Pedrera for NYE depending on how old are you. Those places are for young people (younger than 30), both have the best beaches at Uruguay and are considerable chipper than Punta del Este.

Montevideo, Uruguay
Level Contributor
102 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buenos Aires or Punta del Este for NYE?

Hi Carly, all the people of Uruguay, Argentina and Brasil that want fun want to be at Punta del Este that night, so you have to book the hostel asap.

Fernando Semproni

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
7 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buenos Aires or Punta del Este for NYE?

I am currently having the same dilemma! I heard that NYE in BA is not that exciting, so leaning toward Punta del Este right now. It would probably be more expensive, but definitely busier.

Punta del Este...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Buenos Aires or Punta del Este for NYE?

Hi Carly,

There are several ways to go from Buenos Aires to Punta del Este, by ferry (buquebus) via colonia fast ferry (less than 1 hour) slow ferry (around 3hours) and bus to Punta, or via Montevideo ( a bit more expensive but less time) or you can fly directly from aeroparque (airport in BA centre) which I would reccomend as only take 40 minutes.

It is peak time so any reservation is better but I am sure you will find a place to stay, if you go to La Barra (the party place) there are many hostels and hotels.

I also reccomend you to check out this party.

https://www.facebook.com/PuntaDelEste.Fiesta

Hope you have a great time.

8. Re: Buenos Aires or Punta del Este for NYE?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 am, December 14, 2013