We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May in Punta

Atlantida, Uruguay
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
May in Punta

I'll be in PDE May 1-3. Will anything be open?

Any decent restaurant suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Punta del Este...
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: May in Punta

In Punta del Este itself, i.e., on the peninsula, a few stores will be open. Everything in La Barra will be closed. A boutique or two in Jose Ignacio might be open because it's a weekend.

Most restaurants will be closed, although again, some will open for the weekend.

On the peninsula, try Virazon near the port. It's basic seafood and Uruguayan dishes. If you can get to Jose Ignacio for lunch Saturday or Sunday, La Huella will be open, on the beach, and it's the best restaurant in the area for lunch. The restaurants in the hotels will be open -- Conrad, Mantra, Las Barradas, etc. -- and they are good.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,059 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: May in Punta

The food at La Huella in February was delicious. I did notice that there was a little fireplace across from the bar, which will probably be nice when the weather is colder. The beach is beautiful, even if it's too cold to swim, it's nice to see.

Atlantida, Uruguay
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: May in Punta

Thanks for the info.

Is it still possible to get to Cabo Polonia, will the 4x4 guys still take you there?

How about Isla del Lobos or is it too rough/cold?

Any other thoughts on things to do in the off-season? I will have a car to check out the area.

Thanks again.

Punta del Este...
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: May in Punta

Unfortunately, I can't answer your questions about Cabo or the Isla. Maybe someone else can.

We've eaten many great meals at La Huella with that fireplace roaring, the rain pelting and the wind howling. They make great stews and other comfort food in winter, and provide thick wool shawls for people who still want to sit outside..

La Paloma, Uruguay
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: May in Punta

Just with regards to getting to Cabo Polonio, we have been there out of season, and it wasn't any trouble. Last year, here in La Paloma, I regularly saw one of the local travel booking centres advertise day trips to Cabo Polonio. If you have a car though, you could make your way to the car park and info centre where all the tours leave from. Plus, if you have a car, it is worth checking out more of the area including Laguna Rocha (where you see heaps of birdlife, and the other day we saw some Carpinchos nearby), La Paloma, La Pedrera & Punta del Diablo. Although the towns are really quiet during May, they are worth checking out - beautiful beaches!

Just thought I would mention, we have gone in a couple of times on Horseback, and then come back on the 4x4 - it is a great way of getting there!

Suerte!

6. Re: May in Punta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 10, 2010