We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Having Difficulty Getting Replies to My E-mails

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
250 posts
217 reviews
Save Topic
Having Difficulty Getting Replies to My E-mails

Has anyone else been having difficulty with receiving acknowledgements to their e-mail enquiries about availability and rates for accommodation?? 50% of the e-mails I sent to establishments in Punta del Este asking about a booking never returned my e-mail.

I'm getting frustrated. Do I need to use a language translator and convert English to Spanish - will this help in getting replies to e-mails?? Thanks.

Punta del Este...
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Having Difficulty Getting Replies to My E-mails

There are only a few places in Punta that deal with emails well. Hardly any place bothers with responding to emails inquiring about accommodations between Christmas and January 10. During that time, every place requires a minimum stay and anything decent books up six months to a year in advance.

The basic rule in Punts is to call the place. Don't email, don't go through a travel agent -- call directly.

Uruguay
Destination Expert
for Colonia del Sacramento
Level Contributor
506 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Having Difficulty Getting Replies to My E-mails

Getting answers for an E-mail is difficult, but getting answers for E-mails in english is difficult squared. Sorry, but that´s the way it works. They´ve mostly dealed with argentineans so far, and I think in Uruguay, not even the Tourism Ministry has noticed the change.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
250 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Having Difficulty Getting Replies to My E-mails

Thank you both for your replies to my enquiry. I guess your comments explains a lot but unfortunately it does not help me.

I actually tried the phoning idea to an apartment in La Pedrera (we are also spending a couple nights here and a couple nights in Punta Diablo) and because I don't speak Spanish they hung on me.

I will persevere .... for information sake because I did not mention the time of year of our visit, we are planning our 2 week trip to Uruguay in December (before Christmas holidays).

Thank you again.

Edited: 11:13 pm, March 25, 2010
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
250 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Having Difficulty Getting Replies to My E-mails

Oops ... mean't to say "the hung up on me".

Uruguay
Destination Expert
for Colonia del Sacramento
Level Contributor
506 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Having Difficulty Getting Replies to My E-mails

It will not be difficult to get location before christmas. Why don´t you send me by private message the phone Nr. you called, and I try to find out?

6. Re: Having Difficulty Getting Replies to My E-mails

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, September 23, 2010