We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Central good hotel in the middle of March for our honeymoon

Which Punta del Este hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Norway
Level Contributor
207 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Central good hotel in the middle of March for our honeymoon

Hello,

me and my husband are going to Punta del Este for a few nights during our honeymoon. We would like to have a central located hotel close to restaurants, a nice beach and shopping. Where do you suggest us to stay?

What about L'auberge or La Bluette? Do we need a car then?

We are not thinking about renting a car since we'll stay there only 3 nights, but we will do that if it's necessary.

Many hotels seems to be fully booked and it's hard to get some good reviews. Hope you can help us out here!

Thankyou!

La Paloma, Uruguay
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Central good hotel in the middle of March for our honeymoon

Hi SalsaNorway

Congratulations on your Wedding!!

I just had a quick look on the net at Hotel Bluette (I wasn't familiar with the hotel). It is located at La Barra which is about 10 minutes away from the centre of Punta del Este. I really like the area of La Barra, cute restaurants and shops (although by March maybe some of them are ready to close due to the end of the season). You would need a car though, to do some exploring of the Punta del Este area. However, I think hiring a car is a great idea anyway. It would give you the freedom to head toward Jose Ignacio and explore that area of the coast, plus Punta Ballena and Casa Pueblo, plus some other little treasures in the area like the La Pataia, a working dairy which serve some yummy treats.

As for recommending a hotel out of the two you mentioned, it is hard because they are in such different areas, however, I am a sucker for proximity to the beach (especially a view), so out of the two, I prefer the look and location of Bluette. However, they both look like good properties, and seem to get good reviews.

I don't know if this helps you a great deal, hopefully you get something out of it.

Suerte!

Norway
Level Contributor
207 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Central good hotel in the middle of March for our honeymoon

Hi,

wow thankyou for your informative answer!

After doing some more research hotel Serena came up as an alternative. What do you think about that hotel when it comes to reputation and where it's situated?

Any suggestions for good restaurants in the area?

Thx!

La Paloma, Uruguay
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Central good hotel in the middle of March for our honeymoon

Hi SalsaNorway

Punta Lugano put a great list of restaurants in the Punta del Este area in this post -

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294066-i5832-k335…

Hotel Serena is in a really pretty spot at Playa Mansa with great beach access (right on the beach!). There is not a lot around the specific area with regards to shopping etc, and it would take about 5-10 minutes to drive into the heart of Punta del Este from here. I see it has some mixed reviews, with one of the main points being arrogant service. However there were also some reviews giving good service, so who knows?

Punta del Este...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Punta del Este
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Central good hotel in the middle of March for our honeymoon

Definitely rent a car. It's essential to enjoy the area at all, no matter where you stay.

L'Auberge, La Serena and La Bluette are very different places.

L'Auberge is a world class establishment in every respect. It was the original boutique hotel in Punta, opening around 1946 or so. It is still the gold standard of boutique hotels there, equaled only by a couple in Jose Ignacio. The building and grounds are breathtakingly beautiful. It is located in the middle of an exclusive residential area, three blocks from an excellent Atlantic beach and close to the peninsula in Punta.

La Serena is an overrated hotel with a strange location: right on the Rio de la Plata beach, with spectacular views over the water and to the peninsula in the distance, but isolated and in one of the worst immediate neighborhoods of the entire Punta area. A Belgian family with whom I am friends just this past week checked out of La Serena after one night due to the dirty state of the physical plant and the haughty attitude of the staff.

La Bluette is a "cute" boutique hotel just outside La Barra, a block from a good Atlantic beach. In season it's a fine place to stay. By March you would feel like you're in a ghost town, as La Barra will have shut down completely. It is not nearly the hotel L'Auberge is.

I could add to the list of restaurants another poster referenced, but there are plenty there, all good. I will mention one new one in Maldonado (the "local" town that abuts Punta) -- Céfiro. it's as good as any in the area, and the prices are very reasonable.

Punta del Este...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Punta del Este
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Central good hotel in the middle of March for our honeymoon

Upon reflection, I think I overstated it in saying that La Barra would be a ghost town in March. What happens is things slow down dramatically after February, but not all stores and restaurants will close before Easter, which I think is in April this year. The sandwich places and such will probably still be open in March, and some restaurants and stores. After Easter and until early December, yes, a ghost town.

Norway
Level Contributor
207 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Central good hotel in the middle of March for our honeymoon

Hi guys!

Thankyou so much for your answers ;-)

Hmmm, so where should we stay in March thinking that some places will be "ghost towns". Any good suggestions please?

7. Re: Central good hotel in the middle of March for our honeymoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, August 18, 2010