We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The truth about Punta del Este

Sud America
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
The truth about Punta del Este

I love travelling around the world and to be honest Punta del Este has been so far my biggest disappointment. Very expensive in terms of quality-price concerning food and accommodation. The space has been depredated with several huge buildings. There are better options in Sud America than Punta del Este.

Uruguay
Destination Expert
for Colonia del Sacramento
Level Contributor
513 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The truth about Punta del Este

Who are you? Only one post?

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
43,762 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The truth about Punta del Este

I'll be interested in hearing what those better options are. Brazil maybe?

I like Punta del Este very much, but it is an exclusive place, and it is very expensive for my budget. Having said that, it is not very expensive for the tons of people you see there during high season.

Silvia

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The truth about Punta del Este

Hi, Trip_Exper

"The truth about Punta del Este" is that, like anywhere else in the world, appreciation is in the eye of the beholder. A little solid research before traveling doesn't hurt either.

We were there before high season got into full swing (November) and found the place to be blissfully deserted. We rented a 3 bedroom home for a week in La Barra, 2 blocks up from Playa Montoya, for $US500 per week. Overall, we found that the buildings were generally small & fit into the landscape very well.

We loved it & found it to be a very inexpensive vacation.

Sud America
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: The truth about Punta del Este

Yes Brazil is a better option. General speaking, the quality-price equation is better in Brazil for both food and accommodation. However, Punta is a safer place in terms of security.

Sud America
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: The truth about Punta del Este

In November you have many more options for accommodation because there are no people. Most of people come to Punta del Este between mid of December and mid of February. Then, out of this hot period, prices are much lower then it is easier to find accommodation at decent prices or in line with expectations.

Note that it is not a matter of budget. I can pay 1000$ per night in a very good hotel. However, I think this is not expensive if the quality and service provided is 100% in line with price & expectations. This unfortunately does not happen in Punta del Este. That is why I said that there are better options in Sud America than Punta del Este.

Punta del Este
Level Contributor
201 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The truth about Punta del Este

If you can pay 1000 dollars a night but didn't find a suitable place in Punta del Este, either you didn't research the area well or you were really having a very bad hair day -or days! You should maybe try Ocean City, Maryland....

Harlow, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The truth about Punta del Este

Just back from 7 days in pde... and have to say i agree with trip_exper on this one!!

although it does have some nice places and i did stay the full 7 days, i would agree that that hike in prices does not match the hike in quality???

ie paid too much for our hotel... and for general meals and drinks??(especially down the port)

and compared to london it wasnt that expensive!!

just not 3 times better than ba, buzios or many other beach resorts in brazil.

have travelled all around south america and researched the resort but even with enough dinero in our pockets we still found it un-satisfying!!

New York
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: The truth about Punta del Este

I have posted on this forum previously, starting the topic, "Punta was one of the worst places I've ever been". I am glad some other people share my opinion. There have been new developments that have worsened further my opinion of the area.

I had scratched the motorbike I rented, but it seemed so insignificant I didn't bother with documenting the damage and drafting legal papers. I was assured the repair would cost $200. The bill came now for $588. I am sure that they took advantage of this to either needlessly buy half the bike's parts or line their pockets.

Now that I think of it, everyone in Punta was really grimy and money-grubbing, unlike Buenos Aires. (Except for the friendly fat guy at the Italian restaurant on the main street, and FLO in La Barra).

Punta del Este...
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The truth about Punta del Este

I have written this so many times now that I feel I should just cut-and-paste.

The Punta del Este area is still fundamentally a family vacation place. People go there and love it because it has good beaches, fair water, some beautiful scenery, and it is safe. It is expensive, way more expensive than many places in Brazil and elsewhere with more romantic beaches and warmer water. There's a "surface glitz" for 15 days a year, no more.

The travel magazines always hype Punta and its surroundings as jet set heaven. It is not. The jet setters who go there do so to chill out for a change, not to be seen in jet set locales -- with the exception of about three parties around New Years.

So . . . Punta is too expensive for young people looking for bargain beaches, too staid for those looking for constant action (except for those 15 days, in a few places). You will pay more than the food is worth in most restaurants in season, with a few significant exceptions (La Huella, Marismo, a couple of others). But if you come with a family or significant other for relaxation, safety, and beauty, you will find that.

Most people cook at home most of the time and avoid those expensive restaurants, by the way.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
224 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The truth about Punta del Este

Hello counter posters! Can we tone down the hostility a little? Everyone is entitled to their opion. And if you travel, mistakes do happen and we can all learn from each other that way. It's kind of the point to these forums don't you think?