We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to find a room in Punta Del Este over NewYears Holiday?

Which Punta del Este hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How to find a room in Punta Del Este over NewYears Holiday?

I'll be in Buenos Aires for Christmas and would like to go to Punta Del Este for 4 days over the New Year's Holiday. It appears that virtually all hotels are not showing any room available then. Apparently, from what I am reading online, they are all being held by travel agencies in Buenos Aires, so you have to book through them? If so, how do I go about finding these travel agencies and booking it now from North America? I assume when I arrive in BA on Dec. 20th that it will be impossible to find something at that point?

Portland
Level Contributor
724 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How to find a room in Punta Del Este over NewYears Holiday?

I very much recommend Mantra, Arbol and Posada del Faro. However, you're going to have a very hard time finding something for four days. Most (if not all) hotels in Punta del Este, require a minimum stay of seven to ten days, and the prices are steep too.

Uruguay
Destination Expert
for Colonia del Sacramento
Level Contributor
505 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to find a room in Punta Del Este over NewYears Holiday?

If hotels are booked out, you can try to rent an apartment; may be it´ll be hard for only 4 days, but not impossible. www.apuntavamos.com

Good luck!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to find a room in Punta Del Este over NewYears Holiday?

Dont believe a word anyone tells you that all hotels are bookd for last week of december and jaunary.

Its all lies basically , call the hotels directly, you will find something for sure.

The last couple of years 4 friends of mine waited until the ñlast minute and got hotels and they had plenty of room.

I think the media hypes it up and say on tv....All rooms are full!! Guess what....there arent.

New York
Level Contributor
322 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How to find a room in Punta Del Este over NewYears Holiday?

December will be late to book a hotel in Punta. Trust me, I've been there before. If you want to book a decent hotel it is not too early at all. From Dec. 20th until about Jan. 14th it is almost impossible to book anything unless you do it very early.

Car is a must.

For a convenient location, I recommend La Bluette or Mantra, where I'm staying in Dec.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: How to find a room in Punta Del Este over NewYears Holiday?

OK, I've finally found two hotels with availability, but I had to move my dates to before Christmas (Dec. 21-24). Does anyone have any strong preference between the Jean Clevers Hotel (120 USD/night) and the Barradas Parque Hotel (90 USD/night)?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: How to find a room in Punta Del Este over NewYears Holiday?

Ok, I've now found availability at the Las Olas Resort Hotel in the La Barra area, almost right on the beach. A suite there is 180 USD/night. Has anyone ever stayed there? Is it worth twice the price of the Barradas Parque Hotel?

Portland
Level Contributor
724 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How to find a room in Punta Del Este over NewYears Holiday?

I've never stayed at Las Olas, but I have seen it and it looks great from the outside. Btw, there is a very interesting article about the Punta area on last Sunday's New York Times.

…nytimes.com/2008/11/09/travel/09next.html…

8. Re: How to find a room in Punta Del Este over NewYears Holiday?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, October 09, 2009