We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Reservations?

Which Punta del Este hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
59 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Reservations?

We are traveling to Punta in early January and are having an impossible time finding a hotel for 2 nights. It seems that everywhere has a 5 or 7 night minimum. Does anyone know of a way to find a nice hotel there? I would have thought that 6 months would be plenty of time to make a reservation! :-)

Thanks in advance!

punta del este...
Level Contributor
464 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Reservations?

strux:

Alas, 6 months was not plenty of time -- Punta properties begin filling up at the beginning of the year. And, by South American standards, a 2-day stay is chickenfeed -- most rent for a week or even a month.

If you know with certainty the two nights you'll be staying, I'd suggest e-mailing or calling a few of the larger hotels like Conrad, Mantra, AWA or perhaps even the L'Auberge. Conrad is probably the best because they get a lot of weekend visitors from Montevideo and BA for the headliner shows and on occasion have weekday rooms available.

Otherwise, buckle under and buy a package deal while in BA -- those tour operators are the ones sitting on a lot of the hotel reservations.

You mentioned in another posting getting a car and driving and possibly heading to Punta without a reservation and "winging it." I would not recommend that: after flying into Carrasco, getting a car, driving 2 hours on unknown roads, the last thing you want to do is make the rounds for "lodging at the inn." In the January frenzy it has almost reached the point where they put the horses to pasture and rent the stables to wayward visitors.

All else failing, stay for a day or two in Montevideo and then head to Colonia or the hot springs at Salto in your car.

New York
Level Contributor
322 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Reservations?

Try doing it through a travel agency that worked for me. Good luck!

3. Re: Hotel Reservations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, October 04, 2009